Cecil

Going back to an EPDM liner

16 posts in this topic

I'm sure the Dura skrim liner works for someone but mine has been nothing but a PITA for me. I thought it was my bulkhead fittings that caused my raft tank to leak but after adding addtiional gaskets and tightening them as much as possible it's apparently not the case. I can't find any holes but I do have a seam where two pieces were put together and I strongly suspect that is where my leak is.

Wasn't crazy about how stiff the material is either.

No blame on anyone just won't use this stuff again.

How have your experiences been if you use it?

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Hey Cecil,

If your dura-skrim liner is leaking at a factory seam, I would think it's covered under warranty.  Want me to talk to Chris about it?  He's on vacation through Friday evening, but I'll see him Saturday or Sunday. 

Kellen,

Thanks but I can't be 100 percent sure it's the seams and it would be tough to find the part of the seam where it's leaking. And I just don't like the stuff. I wouldn't use it anymore even if I got a replacement. And sending it back would be a hassle. I also have a concern it being plastic, when I leave it outside for the winter, it could become brittle and crack. That's not the case with EPDM rubber.

hey Cecil.  Found PVC lino works very well and very cheap and tough as nails.

TMK, EPDM is 'certified' as 'food grade' (or most of it is)  and 'fish safe' - other materials 'not so much' if at all  

I personally won't consider anything else, especially for commercial application.  Also available in 'liquid'/brush-on form.

Not cost prohibitive in the scheme of things,  Lined a 95 cu m cistern w/ 45 mil just last month for about US$1000 w/ shipping.

hey Cecil.  Found PVC lino works very well and very cheap and tough as nails.

This is what I recently purchased for lining the wicking beds in my greenhouse. It's very easy to work with, seems very tough, and the cost is lower than anything comparable. It's listed as fish safe by the seller, which can be taken with a grain of salt, but since PVC usage is ubiquitous in AP (including my system), I don't see an issue.

Earthan Group likes this

Some of the larger aquaculture system builders in the world use a PVC liner in framed tanks.  The alternative is HDPE but it is stiff even when very thin.  The PVC liners can also have the skrim in them.  We used PVC in our raft and the HACCP certifier has no issue with it. 

Some of the larger aquaculture system builders in the world use a PVC liner in framed tanks.  The alternative is HDPE but it is stiff even when very thin.  The PVC liners can also have the skrim in them.  We used PVC in our raft and the HACCP certifier has no issue with it. 

Good on 'em.  I suspect USDA, FDA would balk at PVC/lino in a US commercial context - esp. if seeking Big-O certification.   Hobbyists and DIYers aren't susceptible to litigation (rightly or wrongly brought)

Most folks do  prefer what they're familiar with and/or most expedient.    I too used  PVC at first (and framed tanks) without issue.   I'm one of those nutters who tends to seek quality over economy (aka long-term value) when possible. For me and/or at scale, EPDM is hard to beat even with the cost factor,  albeit I do wish Firestone would come out with a 20 to 25 mil version.  45 mil is fine for ponds but overkill in tanks/raceways.  I also question PVC in GH (sun exposure) - known to degrade with UV exposure,, what leachates encountered then?

•  

Leaching tends to occur if temperatures reach 180F or greater with pvc. Many people don't seem to realize that PVC is used quite heavily in the medical field and pvc tubing and bags are used extensivily.  Food grade is often more dependent on how the material is handled or rather if "regrind" (used plastic) is utilized. In food grade/Medical grade applications clean room is often required. Also chemicals such as agents to stop the material to stick to the processing equipment(release agents) is different with food/medical grade products than with products for general use. The food grade release agents require much more frequent application.   

One thing to consider is that the manufacturing process of PVC releases a gross amount of hazardous chemicals into our environment. I've processed pvc personally, but not epdm, so no nothing of the environmental impacts related to it's manufacture.

The only liners I have found that are rated "potable" by the US govt are PVC liners.  I assume that if they think it's good enough for potable water storage, it should be fine for fish production.

Edited by velacreations (see edit history)

The only liners I have found that are rated "potable" by the US govt are PVC liners.  I assume that if they think it's good enough for potable water storage, it should be fine for fish production.

I would not trust the current EPA as far as I could throw them. Every thing they do is politically motivated. In fact, if the manufacture of PVC is bad for the environment, I am surprised they are certifying it at all.

But then that is just me being contrary.  :)

Well considering it is the EPA that regulates water quality  in the US it was probably the EPA for potable water designation, but FDA would be the agency for food safe.  No clue who regulates those issues in other countries.

In all fairness it turns out the liner was not the culprit as the leak has now stopped apparently due to the water which was under the liner finally draining out. Apparently replacing part of the center board of the DWC tank and redrlling the hole in that section did the trick. Or the addition of gasket material.

In all fairness it turnes out the liner was not the culprit as the leak has now stopped apparently due to the water which was under the liner finally draining out. Apparently replacing part of the center board of the DWC tank and redrlling the hole in that section did the trick. Or the addition of gasket material.

Good to hear Cecil!  What a relief. :)