SamBurton

I Think I've Killed My Last Goat....Ever

10 posts in this topic

I processed only two goats this season and sold the rest of the kids.  The simple truth is, I can't look them in the eye any more and put a bullet in them. My heart can't take it.  We like eating goat, but it's $70 to have one processed at the abattoir, which is really more than I want to pay for something I could do myself for free. The chickens, turkeys, rabbits, ducks and fish do not affect me in the same way, and I can take my cows to the processor, so beef is still on the menu. I will probably resume deer hunting this fall, which I haven't done in several years (since we started raising goats). Hunting doesn't bother me. There's just something about helping those young goats come into the world, feeding them, playing with them and handling them on a daily basis that makes me too attached to them to kill any more of them. We haven't decided yet whether we will keep breeding them to sell or if we'll just sell off our herd and buy more cows. 

I've raised a lot of animals, and all it really takes is one good a**hole animal.... and suddenly it's much easier to get rid of them. Kind of like mother-in-laws once you get to know them.

What about keeping them for milk? I love goat's milk.

Never milked a mother in law ,but would think it highly dangerous

Mike

Good one Mike.

I've raised a lot of animals, and all it really takes is one good a**hole animal.... and suddenly it's much easier to get rid of them. Kind of like mother-in-laws once you get to know them.

What about keeping them for milk? I love goat's milk.

I love my mother-in-law.  We can talk for hours.

We like goat's milk too, but the only way to keep does in milk is for them to kid each year and something must be done with the offspring.

I totally agree about the evil animals making processing easier. We had a savage doe rabbit back years ago when we first started in bunnies. She was a very good mother, but she would bite, scratch and generally maul us any time we tried to handle her. Processing her after two litters was a pure joy. Got me over the cute factor in a hurry.

In 4 years, we've never had an evil goat. Had an escape artist once. He was gorgeous, sweet and a good breeding buck, so we sold him. Oh well, we haven't fully decided what to do. We have plenty of time to make that decision. The only thing I know is that I have shot my last one.

When I was a teenager,  I had a steer named Bobby. Bobby was..... evil. Threw ranchers in the air for fun. At the county fair I had to take him through "Showmanship" class. We placed dead last - that might have had something to do with the fact that instead of standing still - he would keep on kicking me.  

I never tasted anything better than a Bobby steak. 

We had two steers growing up that my sisters became attached to. They named them Pete and Tilly. If I wanted more steak at the table all I had to do was remind my sisters they were eating Pete and Tilly. :-)

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)