Cold Weather Aquaponics

Commercial Aquaponics - The Current State and a Little History

135 posts in this topic

Wow this thread is quite a read. ...

Someone REALLY ought to make the aforementioned "Angie's list" of AQP operations because it's incredibly hard to keep up, and all these characters have their own images. For sometime like me, I got into this primarily through YouTube (we young sensational millennial kids not being interested in books, things are only interesting if it flashes, explodes, and talks to us). I saw all these characters in one form or another, and seeing them all pop up here is quite the shocker. Without knowledge contrary, these people seem to all independently come to the sabre conclusions, but in truth they all worked together, bitched and moaned, couldn't get along, and now all claim to be the best.

Thank heavens for Gary, the self prescribed "L'enfant terrible" to call out the horse poop and decant the proverbial tea from the sludge.

The noticable player absent from this (and most other similar) discussions is Bright Agrotech and Dr Nate. It always gets me laughing his title moniker is "aquaponics expert". BAT is mentioned in one post by RoOz, but nowhere else.

Perhaps this is because he never really feel in with the rest of the crowd (dunno). Or maybe because his training centers more on the science and actual marketing of AQP produce, something you don't see much of.

Probably doesn't hurt that he puts out tons of training seminars for free to anyone that knows how to use YouTube (boom!).

BAT definitely uses the fish as a marketing story. They are not sold, and Dr Nate even says they're like pets that the crew gets to fry up once in awhile.

Hi Rosso,

Given their business focus, Bright Agrotech do a good job.  

Nate Storey stands apart from the rest of the kit makers and retailers - in my view.  

He provides stacks of support for those who buy his product.  Indeed, I know of no-one who better supports their customers in how to make the most effective use of their purchases.  It helps that he's a scientist - so his stuff is devoid of the voodoo that is so apparent in the offerings of other kit makers and retailers.

Gary

Hi Rosso,

Given their business focus, Bright Agrotech do a good job.

Nate Storey stands apart from the rest of the kit makers and retailers - in my view.

He provides stacks of support for those who buy his product. Indeed, I know of no-one who better supports their customers in how to make the most effective use of their purchases. It helps that he's a scientist - so his stuff is devoid of the voodoo that is so apparent in the offerings of other kit makers and retailers.

Gary

The nutrient lectures on his YouTube are spot on: enough detail to get you going but not so long I doze off. The points are grounded in relatively good chemistry (I'm a chemical engineer so I'm a little picky).

The idea of selling live in stores is a much better marketing story than the simple aquaponics tagline and nothing else. I can imagine it turns heads, and in grocery stores like whole foods, where people by default are making healthy choices, the idea of ultimate freshness is worth a nominal extra cost.

He takes a good approach to the community as a whole. Although it would be nice to see the company bite the bullet and get a certification to sell fish. Fresh trout, panfish, and perch would be big money there.

Ugh, just realized I feel like I'm watching a movie and rooting for the good guy. This is truly a comedy of errors.

Hey folks..
Have been asked what is that largest commercial Aquaponic farm in operation in Australia at the moment & thought this would be a good place to ask..
Would it be Blue Smart Farms in NSW  http://www.bluesmartfarms.com/home/  or is there another?
My google fu has let me down this time :-/
Cheers.. 

Bluesmart would be the largest commercial operation in Australia Mr Bob... one of the few here... and one of the few in the world...

Bluesmart would be the largest commercial operation in Australia Mr Bob... one of the few here... and one of the few in the world...

Cheers Rupert..

Had a feeling that was the case..

Cheers mate.. 

Aquaponic systems need some investments at starting But it is the efficient system that will give organic products faster than any other. And The best and easiest way to plan and organize your aquaponic production system is that which products are in demanding at your local market, prices of products, products consumption, marketing opportunities.
      If you follow all these factors and techniques for aquaponic system but firstly research before you invest.If the system is set in proper way then it will pay off much quicker and allow you to make profits faster.