SamBurton

Turkeys

13 posts in this topic

We released 14 turkeys and a dozen chicks from the brooder box into the pastures yesterday. They immediately went to foraging. Turkeys eat more grass than chickens do and are tick assassins.  They scratch and aerate the ground just like chickens and because they have bigger feet they can spread it even better. We like eating them better than we like eating chicken. The one drawback is they fly a bit too well. The flightless ones don't breed naturally, so are not truly sustainable. As for making money in a microponics business, they are probably the most profitable of all small livestock. Here in the USA, people pay up to  $100 for a free range turkey at Thanksgiving or Christmas. I can get $60 without blinking an eye and they cost less than half that to raise, even if I have to buy the poults every year.

Hi Sam

I had to quit cuting wings, so my turkeys could escape predators (mainly dogs) get up in trees under atacks.

But if they are safe without the ability to fly, I would do that to prevent them from taking off.

http://www.permaculture.co.uk/readers-solutions/how-clip-chickens-wings-beginners

I enjoyed keeping turkeys my favorit as well, hope to get at it again soon.

cheers

SamBurton likes this

Because of our donkeys and our own dogs, the only predation fears come from the air or from traffic if the birds wander down the driveway too much (which only happened once). On the other hand, if the turkeys get out into the fields behind our pastures, coyotes, stray dogs and bobcats abound.

Wing clipping is a good idea.

Not trying to be a spoiler but isn't releasing domestic turkeys frowned upon by fish and game departments and possibly illegal? From what I've read Fish and Game departments don't want them intermingling with the wild birds as they can introduce disease and genes not fit for survival in the wild.  Just asking and I think what you are doing is cool but wouldn't want you to get in trouble.

My bad. I should have been more clear in my language. We free range all of our birds (chickens, ducks, turkeys), so by release, I meant we let them out of their brooder box to roam the pastures.

Actually my ignorance. I don't know much in field (no punintended) other than we have wild turkeys in increasing numbers in my area. I had one walk past my front door a few months ago.

Wild turkeys have made a comeback in most parts of the U.S. When I was a kid, they were considered very rare, even endangered and hunting was severely restricted. Now they are everywhere. A few years ago we rented a farm in Council Bluffs, Iowa (across the river from Omaha, Nebraska). We would see as many as 50 at a time. One fall hunting season, I killed 2 with a single shot.  Perfectly legal as the limit was three a day.  :-)

I killed 9 chipmunks with one shot. Does that count? My German grandmother was really impressed but of course she had no concept of shotgun pellets. LOL

SamBurton likes this

Turkey surprise ! Late last evening my brother wanted to go fishing and cut some bamboo for poles and other reasons. I went with him ....the bamboo growing deep in thorny area near swamp but first we had to cross our corn field. We was almost to the wood line when we noticed large what we thought to b a turtle. We decided to move in closer. BIG mistake was a mother turkey full with chicks we all were frightened. The turkey ran off with most her chicks. She left 3 so we didn't want nothing bad to happen to them so we took them to a wildlife rehabilitation center that's friends with our family and commly raises other abandon wildlife such as deer squirrel ect. I really wanted to raise them myself but I'm allowed to visit and choose the release site. I'm busy plus my children lil younge to have baby turkeys in the house . Another reason food cost and possible they can spread sickness to other poultry easily raise near same area so this decision especially with what all I got going on i believe was best for me And the turkey's my son named speedy sneaky and spots 😀

it must be a trend, I was stoked to spot what i call a wild turkey, it is actually an Australian bustard  very close to my house, it stopped for a snack of grasshoppers on its travels. very rare!

Australian bustard taste like turkey? Seems they hunted their numbers down in the past. They seem large like a turkey but don't really look like one.

So may 2 was when i first rescued 3 baby turkeys. Few days later I became ill been out of work for 2 weeks now. Can handling baby turkeys make you sick? If this was the cause of these extreme stomach and back issues? I know I can mix turkey with other poultry because they can make them sick but if they can make people o had no idea. 😟