MrAllRAW

Starting very soon in Gulfport, Mississippi

18 posts in this topic

I will be building a small aquaponic system from ibc totes this coming week. Just looking to gain as much knowledge as I can from experienced users while I build and grow.

wxfreqrs likes this

Welcome and success with you system! I suggest you post plans/layout/design, etc. since this will provide you with valuable feedback from the fine folks on this forum.

Greetings!  I'm not far from you here in New Orleans.

Please do tell us what your thoughts are for your new system.  Have you considered what kind of fish you want to keep, and how many?  Also, have you thought through what your end goal is and how much plants you'd like to grow and produce?

Take care,

Craig

The fish and plant count I'm still debating on. I will probably start with with a full size ibc fish tank two grow beds and a sump tank. I plan to fish with 6 total grow beds so I guess finding a suitable plant and fish count for 6 grow beds and 2-3 200-250 gallon tanks will be my first step. I'm waiting on contact from the state so I can get whatever permits I need for tilapia but I also want some catfish. I do know I want to get a tilapia breeding colony to produce my own.

Cool!  I might suggest you also look into wicking beds to give you a larger variety of plants to grow. Contrary to the hype, not every vegetable will grow well in a hydroponic grow bed.  I also recommend that you design a dedicated mechanical filtration unit to remove solid waste that you can remove and mineralize, then add the nutrient rich water back into the water column, minus the sludge.

MrAllRAW likes this

Thanks guys. My build should start this weekend, as far as he wicking beds. I've thought about it not sure if I will add some in or not.

Welcome aboard. I got your PM and left you a reply. Wishing you all the best in your adventures.

Welcome to the best forum, etc. I've found in years. You definitely picked the right place. The members and moderators here are super. Good luck with your system.

BTW, Gulfport is a great city; been there several times.

Yea it's coming along. Got one grow bed, fish tank and sump tank running to start the process. Now it's just a waiting game. When I start getting reading I'll add plants. My goldfish seem to be doing just fine so far

kellenw likes this

Just be careful not to overfeed.  New tank sydrome is a common cause of sorrow for beginners. It takes time for the fish food converting bacteria to develop. A plant or two in the growbed should help.

MrAllRAW likes this

Yea it's coming along. Got one grow bed, fish tank and sump tank running to start the process. Now it's just a waiting game. When I start getting reading I'll add plants. My goldfish seem to be doing just fine so far

Good to hear your progressing, and I like your slow and steady approach. On a side note, every time I see your sideways profile pic it cracks me up. :)

Just be careful not to overfeed. New tank sydrome is a common cause of sorrow for beginners. It takes time for the fish food converting bacteria to develop. A plant or two in the growbed should help.

Oh I don't plan to, I only feed once a day because I'm not in a huge rush and don't want to complicate the process. Plus I don't have any added filtration setup yet. Once I get the RFF set up I'll throw in some catfish and coopernose bluegill. I'll add a second tank in the spring for some tilapia, haven't received my permit yet!

Good to hear your progressing, and I like your slow and steady approach. On a side note, every time I see your sideways profile pic it cracks me up. :)

For some reason when I switch to using a Samsung phones all my profile pics rotated in one direction or another

MrAllRaw,

I'm commenting in here to bump up this thread.  We talked some briefly in the past, and I wanted to see if you ever had any success with building your system.  Since Spring is coming around again, I thought I would see how you were doing.  Hope all is well....

last post i saw  was July 2014, over 2 years ago

is he still active I would like to get in touch as i am only 30 miles from Gulfport

wxfreqs,

The fact that we're posting in this thread will most likely send an email notification to him. Assuming that the email address still works, and he choose to reply....