edmolina

Eddie's Greenhouse Build

66 posts in this topic

That's good news.   Can't see why they would complain, it's a very nicely done greenhouse and looks great..

I agree Ravnis, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder - never mind that they keep a folding trailer in the middle of their yard, some picnic tables that serve as workbenches with half-finished projects, and a few rusting, old lawnmowers that somehow will be worth fixing some day.

I upgraded the fan for the SCHS on 11/10/14 and it seems to have made a substantial difference in regulating temps. The ground temp about 20" down in the GH has been about 60F for some time, from a high of 70F in the summer. I expect that next year I'll be able to raise the ground temp to make a more significant difference, and as ande noted in another thread, performance should increase in subsequent years - may consider adding an umbrella on some of the surrounding ground to improve performance.

Week ending 11/09/14

• Outside: Temp - 72F/36F, Humidity - 99/25
  • Greenhouse: Temp - 84/37, Humidity - 98/42

Week ending 11/16/14

• Outside: Temp - 72F/29F, Humidity - 99/25
  • Greenhouse: Temp - 84/35, Humidity - 99/42

Two days ending 11/19/14

• Outside: Temp - 40F/22F, Humidity - 76/39
  • Greenhouse: Temp - 68F/29F, Humidity - 97/70

The dip below freezing killed the green beans, and I tried to save my tomatoes by putting in a heater for the next few nights to make up for the arctic vortex that hit us. Cherry tomato doesn't look like it will make it, but my cherokee tomato is looking decent. I harvested a bowl of green beans, pulled the plants and prepped the bed for my broccoli seedlings. We're dropping substantially in the next few days with some overcast days, so that may be the end of the tomatoes (will not be putting in the heater again).

Week ending 11/23/14 (three days with a heater overnight)

• Outside: Temp - 62F/26F, Humidity - 99/35
  • Greenhouse: Temp 78/35, Humidity - 96/61

What kind of heater are you using?   I use a kerosene forced air unit.  With the new ultra low sulfur diesel requirements, it can use diesel.  It has a thermostat and keeps the greenhouse warm enough on nights it's gotten down to 16F(-9C) on just a few gallons a week.     They make one that puts out radiant heat, that might fit better for your size.  Electricity is way to expensive where I live to use and propane was costly two,  but kerosene /diesel heat was 1/6 th the cost in my locale per BTU.

Of course, if you're not careful, cherry tomatoes can wind up costing $20 each.

Edited by Ravnis (see edit history)

I just put in an electric heater that I had on hand for a few nights to get over the hump. Don't plan on heating the GH in the future - just an experiment this time. I'm keeping logs of temps to see how far I can push certain vegetables, but then be ready to immediately shift to season appropriate ones.

Great hearing your GH doesn't need to be demolished.  Thanks for posting the temps. Was interested on how well the solex would perform. 

Thanks AC. I have to move the outside temp sensor, which is currently in a shaded spot against the main house. I think there must be enough radiating heat to affect readings, because the outside temp readings have been a bit high. This would be good since it would indicate that the GH is more effective than current measures indicate.

It's been a while since my last update, so here it goes. Lowest outside temp recorded thus far is 7F and lowest GH temp has been 17F. Greens and broccoli are surviving, albeit growing very slowly - hopefully they'll take off as we start to get more daylight hours. Humidity has been very high in the GH, and I'll have to see how much this improves as the soil dries out over the summer.

Broccoli, a little beat up by the low temps, but looks to be surviving./Wicking bed with 23 broccoli plants, and some carrots and onions.

post-2252-0-32418900-1422628930_thumb.jppost-2252-0-57319700-1422629006_thumb.jp

Corn salad (vit/Mache), greens and spinach in DWC tank.

post-2252-0-56637200-1422629069_thumb.jppost-2252-0-00657300-1422629257_thumb.jppost-2252-0-15936800-1422629221_thumb.jp

It will prove to be a good investment even if it does nothing more than extend your growing season by a few weeks.

An admirable accomplishment considering your climate.

Thanks Ravnis. It's no where near my expectations yet, but I expect to learn and make adjustments that will improve output in the coming years.

It will prove to be a good investment even if it does nothing more than extend your growing season by a few weeks.

Thanks Gary. I expect that some small adjustments will shorten the break even point considerably. I'll keep y'all posted.

Dealing with some really frigid temps this week. Last night we hit a low of -2F, and the GH temp hit 16F. I think a gain of 18F on the lows seems pretty decent, and this should improve next year as I charge up the soil heat mass. Yet, not too confident that my broccoli is going to make it...

Looks like the broccoli is going to make it, and hopefully this is it for the arctic blasts. Through 03/01, low had been -4F, and the GH low hit 15F. Since then, the low has been -1F and the GH low has been 26F. Probably just starting to reap the benefits of the longer daylight hours.

crsublette likes this

Looks like the broccoli is going to make it, and hopefully this is it for the arctic blasts. Through 03/01, low had been -4F, and the GH low hit 15F. Since then, the low has been -1F and the GH low has been 26F. Probably just starting to reap the benefits of the longer daylight hours.

Wow... Broccoli is crazy tough.... Quite interesting...

Are you harvesting much of it?

The broccoli is tiny, just small plants that I started very early, more of an experiment to see what would make it through the winter. I'm still not sure if they will grow strong and healthy after being beat up with the frigid temps, but if they do, I may be harvesting very early in the season.