kellenw

Blue Tilapia Fingerlings on sale 59 cents each - US only

13 posts in this topic

Unfotunately I'll have to wait until it warms up for my outdoor aquaponics system as we still have winter temps here with lots of snow on the ground. It was below zero two nights ago!

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Wish i could raise tilapia in northern California. I guess i will have to go with catfish or some other species.

Wish i could raise tilapia in northern California. I guess i will have to go with catfish or some other species.

But they allow it in Southern Cal?

Tilapia are allowed in certain counties in So Cal because they were already established when the rules were put in place. It seems to me i should be able to raise them in a closed loop system like the aquarium operators. But, i do not write the rules. 

Tilapia are allowed in certain counties in So Cal because they were already established when the rules were put in place. It seems to me i should be able to raise them in a closed loop system like the aquarium operators. But, i do not write the rules. 

There are a bunch of people in NorCal that keep them, and believe that they are technically allowed to under the aquarium keeping exception.  Whether they are right or wrong with that belief who knows, but they're doing it anyway. 

There are a bunch of people in NorCal that keep them, and believe that they are technically allowed to under the aquarium keeping exception.  Whether they are right or wrong with that belief who knows, but they're doing it anyway. 

Unfortunately, that "tropical fish hobby" exemption specifically precludes eating the fish. 

If I lived someplace warmer + that allowed tilapia, i know i'd be hopping on this sale!

Edited by smatthew (see edit history)

Unfortunately, that "tropical fish hobby" exemption specifically precludes eating the fish. 

If I lived someplace warmer + that allowed tilapia, i know i'd be hopping on this sale!

How'd they know you were eating them unless you told them?  I would imagine if you just kept quiet about it, no one would come looking for you or care.

You're right. What makes sense doesn't always apply when it comes to state rules. Iilinois one state over doesn't allow them in ponds when there is no way they would survive the winter if the got into the states waters. Furthermore they require testing for VHS in food fish. New York requires the testing of whirling disease in LMB and LMB virus in trout.

Lets keep b****ing about California out of this. Like I said earlier - Allied Aqua is running quite a good sale on tilapia. If you're able to take advantage of it.... go for it!

Lets keep b****ing about California out of this. Like I said earlier - Allied Aqua is running quite a good sale on tilapia. If you're able to take advantage of it.... go for it!

Just California? How about all states that have rules that don't make sense? :-)