SamBurton

Kidding Season

6 posts in this topic

The frigid weather broke a couple days ago and with the weather change, has come kidding season.  Friday evening one of our goats gave birth to triplets. Yesterday, one had a single birth. Another is starting labor right now.  One more is due any time.  One is not pregnant (too young), and one has another month to go.  Will have some fine dining this year. 

Hi Sam

Would you try to get the goat with a single kid adopting one of the triplets for more even growth of all four,

like with sheep lamb?

cheers

We discussed it, but the doe with the triplets has plenty of milk and they are doing well.  The mothers are sisters and they are in the same stall for the next week, so anything could happen.  :-)

Four of our 6 does have kidded. One more to go, but she's about 5 weeks away yet. The 6th was too young to breed this year.

We had 8 kids, 4 bucklings, 4 doelings.   We may try and sell 4 of them, but either way, the freezer will be full of meat and the fridge will be loaded with milk and cheese.  It's hard to think about that right now, because baby goats may be the cutest creatures on 4 legs, so for now we'll just enjoy them. 

Hi Sam,

Congratulations on the new arrivals.

I can relate to the difficulty in see baby-anythings as food.  I farmed rabbits years ago and I still think that a two week old NZ White kitten falls into the same category as your baby goats.  About ten weeks later, I was able to take a different perspective.  All I could see was pan-fried rabbit with mashed potatoes and gravy.

Gary

SamBurton likes this