19 posts in this topic

Hi, My son and I have been experimenting with Aquaponics for the past 4 years and last year built a commercial facility in Londonderry New Hampshire. We are currently only at about 30% capacity plant wise as we cycle the system with four of the twelve 650 gallon fish tanks and two of the three 8' x 75' deep water beds in use. We also have an 8' x 12' NFT area and are experimenting with a few Zip towers. One of our problems was the importation of Tilapia into NH. It took us a while to obtain the licenses and find a breeder the meet the requirements of the NH Fish and Game. As a result we can tell you that tri tail Goldfish will grow as fast or faster from fry than Tilapia in 70 degree water in the same tank eating the same food.

We are keeping the water warm with a high efficiency wood boiler that heats the curculating water through a heat exchanger in the sump tank. Because we are in NH and experience cold winters we built the fish and sump tanks in an insulated basement under the 96' X 34" greenhouse. We have a propane modine heater in the greenhouse set at 34 degrees to prevent the plants freezing during the current cold snaps.

We are producing Kale, Swiss chard, Lettuce, Arugula and Mustard and have started selling a local farmers markets.

If you would like to learn more go to

https://www.facebook.com/victoryaquaponics

and wish us luck, we may need it.

Thanks Ross

post-3386-0-83837000-1389105546_thumb.jp

post-3386-0-08814900-1389105653_thumb.jp

post-3386-0-94968900-1389105720_thumb.jp

Hi VA

Welcome to APN nice set up and pics

Good luck to you specially thru the record freeze  you have now in the US

cheers

Hi Victory Aquaponics

What a great looking set up and wishing you success in your new venture.

Cheers

Joey

Hi Victory Aquaponics,

Welcome to APN.

Could you tell us a bit more about your set up?

Is it premised on any particular model?

Regards……Gary

Ross,

Welcome and very impressive. As a kid I used to live a little southwest of you about 10 miles south of the NH line in Mass at the former Ft. Devens. You have a beautiful state!

What the heck problem did your fish and game have with tilapia? It's not like they would survive your winters!  Have to wonder sometimes about our fish and game departments.

Gary and others, Our setup is based on the UVI system allowing for the fact that New Hampshire climate is a lot cooler than the University of the Virgin Islands.  We have also added the NFT, Vertical Zip Towers, and Flood and Drain area because we hope to use our facility as an introduction to Aquaponics location for local schools.

Hi VA,

With a bit of reading, you'll detect a general air of pessimism about commercial aquaponics on this forum.  That's based on the scarcity of successful role models.....and the utter nonsense emanating from the low (fish) density school of aquaponics thought......which largely comprises Friendly Aquaponics' rogue clones.

It goes without saying, therefore, that we'd appreciate any detail of your operation that will help us to form a better view of a small commercial operation.  I take comfort from your statement that your system is based on the UVI model.....and that, therefore, it's design approach is based on accepted aquaculture practice......rather than the voodoo that is a feature of so many other small operations.

Similarly, if we can be of any assistance at all, just ask.

Gary

Thanks Gary,

My wife was concerned about the amount I had invested in my little retirement venture and did some research on the net and found a site that said one could  return a Million per acre per year with Aquaponics and given that we had 4 acres she was quite relieved. I did tell her that it was possible that this person had not actually built any Aquaponic system nor made any money selling any greens. It is very true that more money is being made selling plans for unproven systems and the components to put them together than on selling any produce. 

We are not under any allusion that this will be easy or that there will ever be any huge profits, fortunately I enjoy the life style and have not borrowed money for the initial investment. We are learning a lot and will share what we learn with you. We also know we have a lot more to learn and are not to proud to admit it. We will be asking for help and may not always completely take the advise but we will be learning from it.

Ross

Cecil likes this

Ross,

Great looking setup you have there!

I was just in Manchester - Rochester area back in November for a boiler sales meeting and wish I had known about your operation.  I would have invited myself over to see your place ha-ha !

You mentioned that you were heating the AP water with a heat exchanger.  Do you have some details on this?  A photo?  I am about to construct a unit and am trying to find some decent sizing info on how big of a PEX (or SS) coil I need etc.

Looking forward to hearing more about your operation, great looking plants!

Mh

Bethany, Oklahoma

Mh

I have a Froling wood boiler which heats two 400 gallon storage tanks. I have a temperature sensor in the filter tank set to turn on at 69F and off at 70F. When the sensor calls for heat 120F water is pumped through 3/4 pex to my sump tanks where it passes through a 30ft coil of 3/4 inch ribbed stainless tube. During spring and fall it takes about 1hr to raise the temp 1 degree. During this cold weather it is running almost non stop to maintain 69F. I am currently heating about 3,000 gals in my non heated but insulated basement which houses fish tanks, filter and sump tanks and another 12,000 gallons in the greenhouse which for the past few weeks has been at freezing at night.  I am currently circulating about 8 gallons a minute through my upper tanks and the same going directly to the fish tanks. I also loose a lot of heat to the greenhouse through the NFT and Zip towers.

Any question just ask

post-3386-0-84895700-1389495599_thumb.jppost-3386-0-02079400-1389495809_thumb.jppost-3386-0-36249400-1389495676_thumb.jppost-3386-0-95557100-1389495776_thumb.jp

ande likes this

Ross,

Thanks for the info on the heating system. 

The corrugated SS that you are using, is this 304SS or 316SS?  I have been considering using the SS inside the flexible gas line (typ Mfg:  Gastite) after removing the plastic coating......by chance is this what you did? 

The 8 gpm, is this the flow thru SS coil closed heating loop or on the AP side?

Are you using the ZipGrow towers, how do you like them?

Keep the cards & photos coming !

Thanks.......mh

I'm going to take a look at at the flexible haas line. This is what I used and I can tell you it is very efficient at heat transfer. The pump that pumps the water through this tube is the Grundfos set at .75 amp pictured in an earlier post. This is from DudaDiesel Biodiesel supplies. If you can get better pricing please don't hold back. They also have all the fittings and connectors.

3/4" Corrugated Flexible Stainless Steel Tubing [sST075] | DudaDiesel Biodiesel Supplies

3/4" Corrugated Flexible Stainless Steel Tubing • 1 Foot per Quantity, cut per order, 3/4" ID • Makes solar installations cost effective and quick to install

• Get fittings pre-installed to your hose by purchasing fittings with installation

QTY
$Ea.
1+
10+
50+
164+
328+

The 8 gallons per minute is the rate that I pump water through my DWC raft tanks. I also pump about 2gallons per minute through an 8' X 12' NFT area and 4 Zip Towers.

The Zip Tower work great although I am getting some drip of the lettuce leaves which is wasting water.

post-3386-0-58107800-1389711204_thumb.jp

Great to have you here! Thanks so much for sharing the pictures. We all love to see the pics. Good luck to you in 2014!

We had fun at the NH Farm and forest expo. We set up a mini Aquaponics system with some Goldfish and this shot ended up in the local paper.

post-3386-0-18957100-1394077643_thumb.pn