averan

An alternative to auto-siphons, the E-Siphon

66 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

If you would like to use auto siphons...

Chainsaw, built a mega siphon if you are looking at using One big siphon for multiple beds...It saves making up multiple auto siphons...

Cheers.

Lately I've been thinking about a much easier purely mechanical alternative to the auto siphon.....the auto-toilet valve!

I haven't tested the idea yet, but basically I envision a toilet flapper valve chained to a float so that when the water fills up it lifts the float and valve just like in a toilet. This will be an easy concept to test and if it works right, could be such a simple solution!

I still like the idea of remotely controllable valves that can be set into different modes though and hope someday to come back to it. :)

So you want to take something with no moving parts and replace it with something that moves up and down?  Do you see the problem here?  I have been using two auto syphons based on the Bigalow Farms idea using an air tube and I have not had a single failure.  

You're both missing the point...of NOT using a siphon. I don't care what your fabulous experience with them has been, or what your idea of physics is, in real life, they go wrong. They go wrong because life happens, the parameters change over time, your carefully balanced auto siphon isn't getting enough inflow to start. So if you feel tempted to try to share the wisdom of your experience and convince me with your superior knowledge to keep using something that doesn't work the way I need it to, just don't. Find another thread to contribute to.

Yes, I have, thanks for the reminder. :)

I like the simplicity. I don't like the extra space it takes up.

I like the reliable draining action and ability to choose your drain size and regulate the flow.

Strider, in that video Greg has also realized a need to alternate modes on the siphon...namely on/off, using the hose valve. But with that traditional siphon-based design you are still limited to 2 modes: flooded or flood&drain. Going away from a siphon-based concept and using an electronically controlled drain, you can have 3 modes: flooded or empty and flood&drain. This assumes water is pumped continuously into the beds.

Gotta say, he's got the auto-siphon perfected!

You're both missing the point...of NOT using a siphon. I don't care what your fabulous experience with them has been, or what your idea of physics is, in real life, they go wrong. They go wrong because life happens, the parameters change over time, your carefully balanced auto siphon isn't getting enough inflow to start. So if you feel tempted to try to share the wisdom of your experience and convince me with your superior knowledge to keep using something that doesn't work the way I need it to, just don't. Find another thread to contribute to.

Wow. Not sure what brought that on but OK, I will not comment any more.

This is why:

"I have been using two auto syphons based on the Bigalow Farms idea using an air tube and I have not had a single failure."

And

"Point is, if properly made, a siphon is very reliable. You can't change physics. It has to work."

These are off-topic comments that don't contribute to the ideas I'm exploring in this thread.

Are you using a timer?

Usually yes, in conjunction with an aquaponics valve...

For the last two years though I've run constant flood... (in various configurations to test things)

But will be reverting back to timed flood & drain in the near future.. ;)

Edited by RupertofOZ (see edit history)