Joecacatheragman42

Kinda Newbie from San Diego, CA

5 posts in this topic

I want to introduce myself possibly for the second time.

I have had my Aquaponic system set up for a little over one year now.

There have been only a few challenges in the last 18 months.

I started out with my old Jacuzzi that I was not using and gutted most of the features except the main filter and motor which I turn on from time to time.

I also have a small Auxillary Fluval filter, which works good and needs to be cleaned every 2 weeks.

I started out with a cullender basket and wadds of cotton in it. The water pumps into it every four hours and helps fill the 4x8 grow tray on top of the Jacuzzi Fish tank.

The fluval filter also empties out into the grow tray.

Together they fill up the tray and when the water level is high enough my Bell Auto Siphon dumps the water in the grow tray.

For anyone looking for a BELL AUTOSIPHON, they are available on Amazon and Ebay as well at a major Hydroponics store in San Diego, CA. If it is permissable, I can later post the name of the Store with the BELL AUTOSIPHON'S for sale.

I started out with about 50 Gold Fish and Koi. Two months ago I got 10 talapia and they seem to be doing very good. I had put some distractions in the bottom of the tank that the Talapia fingerlings could hide in and hopefully escape being eaten by the KOI.

I have another Water TOTE, and most likely will use it and get some more Talapia and leave them in it untill they get big enough to integrate into the main tank.

I got the talapia because a Racoon got into my tank and ate about half of my fish.

I got some more Gold Fish at the same time.

It looks like the fish are getting large enough and making more POOP,  as the plants are looking better now and getting bigger and greener.

I just put together a BIO FILTER that I saw made on YouTube. I made it for less than $15. I got a plastic tub with a lid from Wallmart, some 1/2" hose and fittings from My local Hydro store, a 2 ltr bottle holder from a market, a roll of Window Screen material, and a piece of green AC filter material. You also will need a small Air Pump and a Air stone to keep Air in the tank filter for the Bacteria to thrive. There are Solar Panel Powered Air Pumps available that work good.

I also put BARLEY BALLS in the tank.

I think I need to install the light in the portal of the tank so I can see the fish.

Thats about all I can think of in the way of my introduction.

I really appreciate this site. Another Aquaponic Site was all about selling you a Home Correspondence Course for about $2300 and a small Aquaponic System was free as part of the course. You did not get EVERYTHING you needed, but only the basics and had to purchase the remainder of items to make a fully functional system.

The Site Administrator actulally told me not to post on his site because I have not purchased one of their systems and my home made makeshift system would confuse people.

So, I hope to look around Aquaponics nation and see some good ideas and share details on what I am doing. Thanks for this Site, Joe

Hi Joe,

Welcome back.....it's hard to forget such a distinctive username.

Good to see you've progressed with aquaponics.

Would I be correct in guessing that the "another aquaponic site" was Portable Farms.

You'll have no such difficulties here.

Gary

Edited by GaryD (see edit history)

Hello Joe,

Welcome (again) to APN!   :)

It looks like the fish are getting large enough and making more POOP, as the plants are looking better now and getting bigger and greener.

I noticed you said that the plants seemed to be doing better because you felt the fish were producing more "poop".  It's a bit of a common misconception that the "fish poop" is the primary conduit of nitrogen (ammonia).  More ammonia is actually transferred from the gills of the fish than their solid waste.  Since it sounds like you've recently added more fish, and you're probably feeding more to satisfy the appetites of a larger population, you're putting more nitrogen (via the fish food) into the system, which the plants are responding to. :)

I really appreciate this site. Another Aquaponic Site was all about selling you a Home Correspondence Course for about $2300 and a small Aquaponic System was free as part of the course. You did not get EVERYTHING you needed, but only the basics and had to purchase the remainder of items to make a fully functional system.
The Site Administrator actulally told me not to post on his site because I have not purchased one of their systems and my home made makeshift system would confuse people.
So, I hope to look around Aquaponics nation and see some good ideas and share details on what I am doing. Thanks for this Site, Joe

Sorry to hear about your experience with the other site.  I don't know which site you are talking about specifically, but there are certainly an abundance of them out there that employ the type of tactics you've mentioned.  Here at APN, we tend to be extremely skeptical of high priced "aquaponics courses".  The truth is that a person can learn everything that is "taught" in these so-called "courses" right here on this forum, and on a few select others who also conduct themselves in an ethical manner too, for free.  We're proud of that fact, but also saddened by the fact that there are so many "snake oil salesmen" out there too.  They definitely do a disservice to the field.  Well, enough of that...

Again, welcome to APN!  Great to have you with us. :)