Quake

Newbie from Arkansas

8 posts in this topic

Hi all. Newb here from north-central Arkansas. Just discovered aquaponics recently; never heard of the concept until a few months ago, but hope/plan to get started in with it this coming year. We're currently in the process of selling our current home (relatively rural, on a couple acres; our kids are grown & moved out) and moving to 40 acres that are very rural. End-of-the-gravel-road kind of rural, literally; property where my wife's great-grandparents lived.

The idea is to set up at least one, maybe two greenhouses; at least one for aquaponics use. Just starting to read up on it and am hugely intrigued by the concept. At my age, I'm ready for some healthier living and this looks like one good way to move in that direction.

Anyway, just a "hi" from a newbie to both the board and the concept. I look forward to doing a bunch of reading here. Got a lot of catching up to do on the topic...

G'day John,

Welcome aboard.

Looking forward to learning more about your new farm.

Gary

Hi all. Newb here from north-central Arkansas. Just discovered aquaponics recently; never heard of the concept until a few months ago, but hope/plan to get started in with it this coming year. We're currently in the process of selling our current home (relatively rural, on a couple acres; our kids are grown & moved out) and moving to 40 acres that are very rural. End-of-the-gravel-road kind of rural, literally; property where my wife's great-grandparents lived.

The idea is to set up at least one, maybe two greenhouses; at least one for aquaponics use. Just starting to read up on it and am hugely intrigued by the concept. At my age, I'm ready for some healthier living and this looks like one good way to move in that direction.

Anyway, just a "hi" from a newbie to both the board and the concept. I look forward to doing a bunch of reading here. Got a lot of catching up to do on the topic...

Welcome aboard! Just a word of advice: Don't start out too big and make things too permanent until you get some experience under your belt. It's amazing how good hind sight is and how you can wish you'd done things differently at first if your structures are to permanent. I've been fortunate in that capital was never abundant so I've had to move slowly and cautiously when it came to aquaponics and aquaculture. And like Gary I think it's important to design a systems that is primarily a recirculating system that keeps the fish happy first and then the plants are an added component. After all the fish are the lifeblood of your system. Otherwise you're just doing hydroponics. Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Welcome, aboard.  You've come to the right place.  This forum is loaded to the gills (pun accidental, but fitting) with fellow travelers.  We're glad you came.  We are looking forward to hearing your ideas. 

Hello John

I am Ron from Beebe. I was wondering how you are doing with your aquaponic setup? I have a vertical system, gravel bed system and a dwc system. I am planning revamping my system this fall and spring. I really enjoy working on my systems and growing veggies. I would like to get up with you to see your system.

Ron - Pains me to say but I haven't even started yet. I'm just outside Cabot, and we own a busines in Heber Springs. We've got property (40 acres) up near Heber that we want to build on & move to, and have been 'trying' to get our house on the market. But all year we've had one thing after another come up - wrecked vehicles, kids moving back home, etc. Maybe next year...