GaryD

A New Owner for Aquaponics Nation

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

Back in September, I announced that, due to an anticipated New Direction, I was handing management of Aquaponics Nation to Kellen Weissenbach.....and that I was assuming the role of member.

What I omitted to mention at the time, was that I had actually gifted the forum to him.

Since forums are often traded (some for substantial sums of money), a likely question is.....Why give it away?

APHQ/Nation is the product of the input of its members.  While I owned it in a technical sense, I always felt that it really belonged to the community that made it what it is.  

To that end, I saw my true role as that of a steward......or guardian.....on behalf of the community that had evolved since its commencement.  

When I become aware of the looming demands on my time, it occurred to me that it was probably time for a change.

Why Kellen?

Prior to APHQ's rebirth as Aquaponics Nation, we'd contracted with a  forum "technician" who'd showed himself to be less than competent....or trustworthy.  Suffice to say, some of his search engine optimisation actions disaffected Google to the point where APHQ was on a black list.  That, coupled with a pretty nasty spambot attack, meant that APHQ was (from a technical perspective) in a spot of bother.....to put it mildly.

Kellen suggested a name change (and the name), shifted the forum to a new, better platform and sorted the spambot problem.  He hosted the refurbished forum on his server (at no cost) and even designed the new logo.  The results of his work are there for all of us to see.

While he had my confidence prior to putting in this effort, the generosity of spirit that Kellen demonstrated during this period made him the obvious choice as the new custodian of the forum.

While we dealt with the paperwork months ago, I chose to delay the formal announcement - to give Kellen a chance to find his feet.....and to make his mark on the forum.

In my view, he's done both.....to spectacular effect.

In passing the baton, I'd like to register my appreciation of the past work done by our moderators and the contributions of our members - and to express my satisfaction of the role that APHQ/Nation has played in the worldwide development of aquaponics during its important formative years.

As the operator of the "independent voice of aquaponics" for over six years, I have few regrets - and a very real sense of pride.

Thank You......and I'll see you on the forum.

Gary

APinP, early, shaffar and 1 other like this

Thanks for everything you have done Gary. (and welcome to Kellen) APHQ gave me a different view of AP as compared to that offered at BYAP - I loved the willingness to look at external filtering and to look at possible extensions to AP - your 'Microponics' idea. 

I hope all goes well in the new location and the downsized housing; I'd love to be able to emulate it but it might take considerable working on the missus as well as some frantic saving to find/buy the right block.

Don't be no stranger now, y'hear? :D

I think you've placed the forum in good hands Gary… And you should be happy leaving it with Kellen…I've always maintained that APHQ, now APN,PAP and BYAP  were 3 forums I've enjoyed being a part of…No individual forum is necessarily better although we may have our preferences but they are all different in their own ways…I enjoy the variety...I can't see that changing with the handing over of this battern…So thanks for your efforts Gary They are appreciated and not un noticed…We still would like to see you round the place and look forward to your further contributions in the future…At least now your time can be easily freed up to do at home what you wish…Good luck in your future endeavours…

Congrats Kellen, and good luck with it, and thanks in advance for the time and effort you'll need to put into it...

Cheers.

Edited by bigdaddy (see edit history)

Hi Gary

when I came across AP some years ago and start reading about it on the net, I find some stuff from GaryD and I like it, and this intrigue me to find more stuff from this guy.

Then I find he has a forum and I join to APHQ to learn from him and enjoy every minute I spend here.

Thank you Gary for everything.

I know you will be here but it's not the same as before.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks Gary for running this forum over the years and for Kellen making the improvements and continuing on with the forum. 

I get a lot of enjoyment from aquaponics and have learned a lot from the posts the members of this forum have contributed.

Cheers

Joey

Happy to join the chorus.  Thank you Gary, for your efforts, your advice and your genuine interest in integrated farming.  Congrats to Kellen and we look forward to where we're all going together.

For the record, like many of you, I'm a member of more forums than I can shake a stick at, but this one fits better. Thanks to all of you for making this a fun place to hang out.

Gary, thank you very much for all you have done to make this a fantastic place to come and learn and share about aquaponics and "microponics" I have spent a considerable amount of time on many of the "other" forums but found myself returning here. I find the sharing of ideas and sometimes vigorous debate to be a real strength of this sight. I could always count on you or one of the other moderators to share your time and valuable insight to really strengthen the discussion. Thanks!

Kellen, thank you to you for taking the helm of this forum. I appreciate all you have done and will do to make this forum the BEST out there.

Gary has heard this enough times that I probably sound like a broken record to him (sorry Gary...hehe), but it fully deserves public mention too...

I am incredibly honored, and at the same time humbled, to have been entrusted by Gary to be the new steward of APHQ/APN.  Without a doubt, these are some big shoes to fill.  I've been a Moderator here for many years, and I've thoroughly enjoyed it.  I love this community, and I've met a lot of great people here, many of whom have become very dear friends.  I am absolutely committed to ensuring that this great community continues to live on and thrive.  THANK YOU GARY.

APinP and weldnfab like this

I wish ya the best of luck as you begin another chapter in your lives Gary......  hope you'll keep up your posts.... and my congratulations to Kellen.... cheers.

Gratz again to you Gary for this new chapter, and thanks for all you have done to further AP. I have gained so much from the expertise that you have so generously shared.

Kellen, much gratz to you as well. Very nice work thus far, and look forward to where you take this in the future.

Nicely said Gary. You can't buy integrity.

Well said yourself, Strider.  :thumbsu:

Thank you, Strider…..however the way that Aquaponics Nation is evolving is evidence of the fact that it was the right decision to make.

Gary

early likes this