sandcreekfarmanddairy

Aquaponicists in Texas

7 posts in this topic

My name is Martin and I would like to introduce myself and tell Aquaponics Nation members about the upcoming Texas Commercial Aquaponics and Solar Greenhouse Training Course from January 13 to January 17 at Sand Creek Farm and Dairy in Cameron, Texas. Sand Creek Farm has three commercial aquaponics systems along with a raw milk dairy, farmstead cheese house and a vegetable CSA that provide food to over 225 families in central Texas. For more information about the course, check out [REMOVED].

Our setup is based on the Friendly system and our tanks stock bluegill and tilapia. We produce mainly lettuce and asian greens for commercial wholesale and we have a fourth hoophouse that uses aquaponics water for tomatoes, peppers, and fruit trees as well our experiments, and a demonstration mini system.

Edited by admin (see edit history)

Hello Martin,

Welcome to APN.  We're happy to have you with us. 

You will probably notice that your post has been edited a bit.  As a general rule, we do not allow commercial advertising on APN.  The forum rules and guidelines can be found here: http://aquaponicsnation.com/forums/topic/3-forum-rules/.  If you have any questions or concerns regarding these policies, please do not hesitate to contact us.  We're here to help. :)

We'd love to hear more about your operation as we have discussed the pros/cons of the Friendly Aquaponics model quite a bit here on the forum. 

Again, welcome to our community!

Welcome aboard Martin!  Would definitely be interested in hearing more about your operation.  We also have a fairly lengthy thread involving commercial aquaponics here that you might be interested in.  Much of the discussion revolves around the FAP model.  Would be great to hear your thoughts and input.

Take care and welcome! :)

Thanks All, and thanks Kellen for the pointer to the commercial thread. I'll take a look at it and see if I can add my two cents. The Friendly model is the one I'll talk about most often because it's the one I use and am most familiar with. One thing I can say about it: the Friendly model works for commercial production but only if you follow it and don't try to innovate too much. But for those who are experts - engineers, biologists, and so on - innovate with caution. I would say that the main reason that there have been some spectacular failures using any particular model is the temptation toward reckless innovation. I suppose that would be my number one tip: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

Welcome to the forum.   The tip about  innovation is  a good one. It is very easy to get in the mode of trying to R&D so much, that production takes a back burner.

Hi Martin (Sandcreekfarmanddairy),

How many years has your commercial aquaponics system been in operation?