SamBurton

How many APN members are running Hydro Systems?

I am seriously considering running some Hydroponic systems this coming spring.  I'm particularly interested in Kratky because of the off grid possibilities, but I'm going to run a 4 bucket DWC experiment as well.  I'm wondering how many of you are already operating hydro systems in addition to your AP systems?  I'd love to hear your stories. 

Sam, you might want to follow the "Ultimate Growing System" thread that Gary started and I have been posting into.  I'm going to be soon adding some growing beds that utilize a version of this hydroponic method using an air gap.  I will be circulating water every so often though.

I have in the past tried many hydro systems... none are currently running now.

My absolute favorite was an indoor aeroponic system.... it utilized a spray mist aimed at the roots... the best production rates, ... very simple... yet slightly prone to clogging... very fast growth..

the  (4) 5 gal buckets done in  dwc manner I did outdoors (garden area)  for a side by side comparrison against soil grown jalepeno's....  was a total win..... probably 4-5 times harvest rates vs a premium soil blended compost.... both were healthy.... the dwc was overwelming in production tho...  

it was the overall rising cost of organic nutrients that led me to explore the use of fish.... and wellah! here I am.     cheers.

New member and new to AP but have some hydroponics experience..I succesfully grow leafy greens(mainly lettuce) in DWC style system(s)..I run both netpots filled with hydroton media, and also  in raft beds..

I usually have plenty of lettuce in my greenhouse to get me through the fall and winter, till i fire up my outdoor beds..

I recently discovered this wonderful world of AP and have started a new first sys..Eagerly reading/learning and trying to soak it all in, thanks to folks like you all..

New member and new to AP but have some hydroponics experience..I succesfully grow leafy greens(mainly lettuce) in DWC style system(s)..I run both netpots filled with hydroton media, and also  in raft beds..

I usually have plenty of lettuce in my greenhouse to get me through the fall and winter, till i fire up my outdoor beds..

I recently discovered this wonderful world of AP and have started a new first sys..Eagerly reading/learning and trying to soak it all in, thanks to folks like you all..

Welcome!

Hi Cecil and thanks for the welcome..I hope it's ok to ask a question(s) here or should I start a new thread?..

I've started a small AP sys ~40-45 gal FT with 12 goldies(well with 2  ~16gal GB tubs..Now since this is my first system(experimenting) I will incorporate some of my DWC tubs/containers to AP, but frankly because the cost of hydroton, I much prefer floating rafts, which I'm familier with.

Will the filtration via my media growbed(s) suffice in your opinion, to flow from beds then to constant flow raft system?..

I realize there are too many variablles involved, however wondering if others only use the media beds as filtration pre raft?

Oh, and I will be using a bigger system when  i start the floating rafts..Your thoughts and input please!. TIA!..