stargeezer

Hello from Central Illinois USA

10 posts in this topic

Here am I.  :) I'm also known as Larry and I'm building my first Aquaponics system. This fist attempt is being built in my garage because we are entering winter. And since it's a "proof of concept" system for me, I want to build it where I can monitor it in a scientific manner and that means it must not be out in the back 40 acres.  :D  In the garage I can control temperature  and keep a close eye on the lighting. I'm also starting with a eye on expanding my system, so that led to buying and building my equipment oversize, knowing that next spring I will be pulling everything apart and moving it to my greenhouse when it's finished.

Most of the mechanical system is assembled, my bell siphons work as they should, I'm slowly accumulating my grow media (I can only carry so much at a time) and in short order, the fish will be added to the stock tank.

I'm looking forward to adding Aquaponics to my dirt farming.

Lastly I'll add that I sometimes work and build things a little differently since I'm wheelchair bound and working from my power wheelchair leads me to view life from a slightly different angle. This is not a limit on my life, I see it more as a filter - I can do anything a person who stands erect can do - I just do it a couple feet lower. :D  :P  :D 

Cheers all!

Larry 

Welcome Larry.

Since my system is also in my garage, I'll offer you some of what I've experienced, which might help you avoid some difficulties. My two biggest issues have been adequate lighting and air quality. I'd suggest that you start with greens as they require less lighting and fewer nutrients.

Welcome Larry.

Since my system is also in my garage, I'll offer you some of what I've experienced, which might help you avoid some difficulties. My two biggest issues have been adequate lighting and air quality. I'd suggest that you start with greens as they require less lighting and fewer nutrients.

Lighting is another area of uncertainty. I'm putting 4 48" T5 grow tubes over each bed and since the garage is dark, I'm not sure if that's enough. Is that enough or should I plan to add more or should I scrap the T5's and jump on high pressure sodium grow lights? The Sodium light systems are a bit outside my price range (with all the rest of the system) right now, but if that's the way I must go, I'll just have to do it in steps.

Thanks!

welcome indeed, Larry..... the question of your lamps, and lighting, is a measurement of watts per square foot of grow bed..... some plants require more, some less....20 watts/sq ft will do most greens... 50 watts/sq ft will grow anything. cheers.

Math helps thanks! 864w/24SF grow bed =36w per square foot. A little lower than optimum, now I wish I'd bought the 12 bulb fixtures the guy had they would have made a difference. Or perhaps I can locate a third fixture, that would make it 54w per SF.

Edited by stargeezer (see edit history)

If you stick with greens, your lighting works, and they are more forgiving as you start your system.

weldnfab likes this