KoiLover

Issues with my plants

8 posts in this topic

Hi All!

This is my first post on an Aquaponics Forum! I am sort of new to Aquaponics. I have had my system for a few months now. Everything has been going fantastic until recently. Let me fill you in on the details!

I have a small set up, about 15 gallons, with one small Koi and 5 small comet goldfish. In the grow bed I have only four herbs: basil, cilantro, oregano, and sage. Everything has been growing well and I get a pretty good harvest each Saturday from my herbs. However, I am having trouble with the plants now. 

The cilantro is looking less green than usual; it is more of a greenish-yellow now. The oregano is starting to become less green as well. The Sage is getting what look like little dry brown spots on the leaves (picture attached). The basil is yellowing on some leaves and getting dry brown spots as well (picture attached). 

The only thing that I can think of is maybe there is not enough nutrients in the water? Every time I test the water the pH, nitrite, and ammonia are always perfect. There are never any nitrates, though. So I figure the plants are eating up all the nutrients quickly and there aren't any left over. If this is the case, how do I fix it? Should I add more fish or feed the fish more? 

If you think this is something different, please let me know! I am worried that I might have to start with all brand new plants!

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this! I look forward to hearing and trying your tips and advice!

-Ahna

post-3319-0-02919300-1384381706_thumb.jp

post-3319-0-11380000-1384381712_thumb.jp

Hi KL

Welcome to APN

15 gallon is a small volume to keep a koi in, along with 5 gold fish, even smaller, so no more fish or fishfeed in IMO

You might need to add some chelated iron in your growbeds

cheers

Edited by ande (see edit history)

I concur with Ande. Also, I wonder about light.  Is your system under grow lights or are they in a greenhouse?  We don't have a lot of daylight hours this time of year. 

Hi Ande and Sam, 

Thank you for the advice! Will the chelated iron affect the fish in any way? I've seen so many people saying not to add anything to systems that I am a bit worried about adding something! As far as the light goes, I have lights on the plants for 16 hours per day. I have three CFL bulbs, two at 23 Watts (100 watt equivalent) and one at 65 Watts (300 watt equivalent). All three are day light bright. I have found out that the problem with the sage is that it got splashed and burned. I have trimmed off all of the damaged leaves and it seems fine now. The basil and cilantro still seem a bit yellow. 

Thanks for your time!

I get mine from Amazon, but I noticed it on the shelves of one of our local nurseries on a recent visit.  Try google.  :-)