Cecil

Cetus Sieve wedgewire replacements?

227 posts in this topic

Doing a liitle research on sieve filters and noticed a supplier in the U.K. allegedly offerred replacement wedge wire replacement parts for the Cetus Sieve Filter, however, they were "out of stock."

If I were to build one or more of these units purchasing one of these replacement screens would save a lot of trouble and expense and then i could just build the box around it. Perhaps the retailer knows this and hence why they are "out of stock?" Just to be clear it would only be for my own use.

Anyone else see any other retailers that offer any replacement screens?

Edited by Cecil (see edit history)

Hi Cecil,

Chris from AlliedAqua.com was selling wedge wire screen.....and, at one stage, I believe that Kellen and he were collaborating on the design of a sieve filter.

Gary

Hi Cecil,

I bought a 8 inch by 18 inch 175 micron wedge wire screen from Chris earlier this year and built my own frame

From my experience don't go for too fine a mesh because this can cause the screen to become blocked quickly the 175 micron seems perfect for my system, which is based on a garden pond and therefore gets a lot of fine leaf debris ,also find the ability to alter the slope of the screen can help in fine tuning the screen.

I brush clean the screen twice daily to remove the filtered muck,  and completely remove the screen it once a week for a good clean under the tap.

Mike

Cecil likes this

Hi Cecil,

I bought a 8 inch by 18 inch 175 micron wedge wire screen from Chris earlier this year and built my own frame

From my experience don't go for too fine a mesh because this can cause the screen to become blocked quickly the 175 micron seems perfect for my system, which is based on a garden pond and therefore gets a lot of fine leaf debris ,also find the ability to alter the slope of the screen can help in fine tuning the screen.

I brush clean the screen twice daily to remove the filtered muck,  and completely remove the screen it once a week for a good clean under the tap.

Mike

Seems like a lot of maintenance compared to what the literature says.

My pond is open to the elements and gets a lot of contamination that would not occur in most peoples set up. also a large population of Tilapia which don,t practice safe sex and are an every increasing population until large enough to be culled after this the screen cleaning frequency can be dropped.

The daily cleaning only takes a total of five minutes and is much easier than the swirl filters etc that I have tried in the past, I take the view that it is better to remove the debris rather than it contaminating the pond.

Cecil likes this

Chris currently has a fairly large amount of the exact same 175 micron wedge wire wetauser used for his project. It's the exact same stuff I've standardized on for my filters and the same that will be used on the commercial unit Chris and I designed together if it ever goes to production. We use an electric pressure washer for cleaning. Takes 20 seconds or so. We do it a couple times a day but it can usually go close to a week without cleaning in a pretty heavy load situation and still perform properly. We are just in the habit of doing it during the feeding schedule. A sieve combined with a settling tank (swirl or rff) makes for a very good mech filtration system. Ideally it should be gravity fed from the fish tanks though and this can present some challenges unless tanks are elevated or very high walled. They can be pump fed too but you're going to lose some efficiency due to chopping larger solids up into finer particles with a pump. A prop or axial pump is a better choice if you have to pump to the filters as it chops solids up a little less than higher rpm pumps. They tend to be more expensive to purchase but use significantly less electricity in low pressure low head high flow situations. Chris carries a couple models but I don't see them on his website.

Seems like a lot of maintenance compared to what the literature says.

Hi Cecil

I think Birdmans description of pros/cons and maitenance on the Cetus Sieve here :

http://www.thepondforum.com/showthread.php/199-Cetus-Sieve?s=8bf20e7eea36ae3bdfd8cec4fe6d175f&p=2454&viewfull=1#post2454

Is worth a read

Have in mind, that the CS is a werry good, but still a "high brand" (cost) filter, sold by Evolution Aqua, so buying a spare sieve screen wich all the official EA dealers do provide (in differente micron zize) carrys the xtra- cost, related to their brand name.

If it is anything like buying K1 (Kaldnes biochips), thru EA, wich they repack, and sell (of shelf) as a "official dealer" (licensed?), the xtracost you pay would be high is my gues.

I got a "friend" who is a official EA dealer thru his Koi pond shop, he is bound by his dealer ship (franchise?) to buy and sell K1 at  prices where he is not competable compared to the municipale industry (exact same K1 product).

So I would look elsvere maybe a company like this ? http://www.wedgewire.com/sieve.htm can sell you a sieve with your exact spec

cheers

Chris currently has a fairly large amount of the exact same 175 micron wedge wire wetauser used for his project. It's the exact same stuff I've standardized on for my filters and the same that will be used on the commercial unit Chris and I designed together if it ever goes to production. We use an electric pressure washer for cleaning. Takes 20 seconds or so. We do it a couple times a day but it can usually go close to a week without cleaning in a pretty heavy load situation and still perform properly. We are just in the habit of doing it during the feeding schedule. A sieve combined with a settling tank (swirl or rff) makes for a very good mech filtration system. Ideally it should be gravity fed from the fish tanks though and this can present some challenges unless tanks are elevated or very high walled. They can be pump fed too but you're going to lose some efficiency due to chopping larger solids up into finer particles with a pump. A prop or axial pump is a better choice if you have to pump to the filters as it chops solids up a little less than higher rpm pumps. They tend to be more expensive to purchase but use significantly less electricity in low pressure low head high flow situations. Chris carries a couple models but I don't see them on his website.

May be paying off my house soon so will have some cash flow. Definitely interested in the sieve filtration as an option. I really like the fact that waste gets pulled out of the flow vs. just sitting there.

My pond is open to the elements and gets a lot of contamination that would not occur in most peoples set up. also a large population of Tilapia which don,t practice safe sex and are an every increasing population until large enough to be culled after this the screen cleaning frequency can be dropped.

The daily cleaning only takes a total of five minutes and is much easier than the swirl filters etc that I have tried in the past, I take the view that it is better to remove the debris rather than it contaminating the pond.

Makes sense!

Hi Cecil

I think Birdmans description of pros/cons and maitenance on the Cetus Sieve here :

http://www.thepondforum.com/showthread.php/199-Cetus-Sieve?p=2454&viewfull=1#post2454

Is worth a read

Have in mind, that the CS is a werry good, but still a "high brand" (cost) filter, sold by Evolution Aqua, so buying a spare sieve screen wich all the official EA dealers do provide (in differente micron zize) carrys the xtra- cost, related to their brand name.

If it is anything like buying K1 (Kaldnes biochips), thru EA, wich they repack, and sell (of shelf) as a "official dealer" (licensed?), the xtracost you pay would be high is my gues.

I got a "friend" who is a official EA dealer thru his Koi pond shop, he is bound by his dealer ship (franchise?) to buy and sell K1 at  prices where he is not competable compared to the municipale industry (exact same K1 product).

So I would look elsvere maybe a company like this ? http://www.wedgewire.com/sieve.htm can sell you a sieve with your exact spec

cheers

Ande,

As always thanks for the link and great information.

However i tried the source you linked with no response. Sent an email and I think I left a phone message.

However i tried the source you linked with no response. Sent an email and I think I left a phone message.

Hi Cecil

Try this manufacturer  http://www.hpwellscreen.com/

If you go to their dowload page  http://www.hpwellscreen.com/en/downloads.html

you'l fine this High Performance under filtration, as a pdf link download, scroll down to page 2 of 2 product group 7, there you fine pics and specs, on various type sievs, all vedgewire stainles steel for multiple aplications.

I do not know their prices ?

cheers

Looks like this company http://www.johnsonscreens.com/content/polyurethane-screening-systems

have vedge wire in polyurethan probably alot cheaper than ss wich they also sell they call it vee-Wire

cut/past from pdf:

Sieve bends: Johnson sieve bends are engineered to ensure that your operation achieves the best process and maintenance outcomes. What sets Bilfinger Water technologies apart from other sieve bend manufactures is that our team has the technical skills and practical experience to select the optimum vee-Wire® and slot combination to achieve the desired separation

cheers

edit: others here

http://tianshan.en.hisupplier.com/product-389603-bend-sieve-plate.html

http://www.schenckprocess.com/site/screenex/products/Polyurethane-Sieve-Bends.html

http://www.elastomersaustralia.com.au/products/detail/10?category_id=4

Edited by ande (see edit history)

I figured I would put this here as this thread is active on this topic.  I was looking that this a few years ago on Dr Wilson Lennard's NFT test setup but without any close up photos or details.  He's posted better pics and descriptions in his filtration document.  He mentioned frequently cleaned mesh as used in screen printing with no specifics.  I wanted to get everyone opinion of it.  It looks to be an easy DIY setup as long as one was willing to trade cost for extra work cleaning. 

Photo on page 5 figure #2, info on page 4 "mechanical filtration"

Note that the photo is high resolution you just need to zoom.

http://www.aquaponic.com.au/Solids%20filtration.pdf

Edited by jobney (see edit history)

Hi jobney

I looked at it before and remember thinking, how does he clean the pipes (manifold) ? there must be some build up of solids there so the end caps must be easy to take off (not glued), the sieve will work but as described needs a clean off at a given intervall.

cheers

Edited by ande (see edit history)
TheDictator likes this

It would be nice if he gave specifics on what screen he was using.  Is it non framed screen printing screen or just window screen?  I can see it being a last line of defense before a sump where water leads to an NFT system.  Solids left in the water will accumulate on the roots.  The roots in NFT are a very effective at removing suspended solids.  Since I've removed my brushes and replaced them with static media maybe I'll shove them into the sump for lack of a better place to store them.

Next I need some kind of auto top off from a side tank for my sump.  It's only 20 gallons and way too small and an outright replacement is not an option at this time due to plumbing and space issues.  Maybe a toilet float valve would work.

Hi again jobney

To me it looks like the dust screens of a airconditioner ?

Her toilet float works well

cheers

It would be nice if he gave specifics on what screen he was using. Is it non framed screen printing screen or just window screen? I can see it being a last line of defense before a sump where water leads to an NFT system. Solids left in the water will accumulate on the roots. The roots in NFT are a very effective at removing suspended solids. Since I've removed my brushes and replaced them with static media maybe I'll shove them into the sump for lack of a better place to store them.

Next I need some kind of auto top off from a side tank for my sump. It's only 20 gallons and way too small and an outright replacement is not an option at this time due to plumbing and space issues. Maybe a toilet float valve would work.

I thought solids of any form were a big no no in NFT as they tend to clog easily, but you're saying the roots are good for collecting solids, which is a good thing, or did you mean the roots effectively collect solids, which is a bad thing? Edited by Cecil (see edit history)
jobney likes this

I thought solids of any form were a big no no in NFT as they tend to clog easily, but you're saying the roots are good for collecting solids, which is a good thing, or did you mean the roots effectively collect solids, which is a bad thing?

Yes, a bad thing. Since they are effective at collecting solids you need to remove the solids before they hit the roots. Edited by jobney (see edit history)

That was my understanding; just wanted to clarify.

I'm seriously considering plumbing in a DIY upflow Sand & Gravel filter after my clarifier to make sure no solids whatsoever reach my plants.