SamBurton

I think my pig is preggers

4 posts in this topic

Patty Pig, aka Peppermint Patty, because she likes peppermint horse treats, is showing all the signs of pregnancy.  Just when I wanted to be done with pigs.  Patty is our yard pig.  She is a Vietnamese Pot Belly and has free reign of the back pastures to rid us of dandelions, snakes and other assorted nuisances.  She had one litter a couple years ago and her babies were plenty meaty, but they were just not as tame as our Large Black Hogs were, so we retired Patty.  Somehow she managed to worm her way into our affections and we kept her after butchering and selling off the other swine.  It seems, though, that one of the young males reached maturity before we managed to get him into the freezer. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.  If she does give birth, they will be 3/4 pot belly, 1/4 Large Black.  Frankly, I will likely butcher them as weanlings.  They make good roasters at that age. 

Hey Sam,

Congratulations on the "blessed event".......as 1960's weirdo icon Tiny Tim used to describe the birth of anything.

I'd have thought that fat little pigs would have also made good baconers.......or is it about bringing your pig rearing to a close in a hurry.

Gary

It's all about winding down the pig operation. On the positive front, Patty is an outstanding mother. We have no worries about predation or little ones wandering off.  These little snouts will be fat and healthy come processing time.  Unless, of course, Patty rolls over on one, which every sow seems to do at one time or another.