Caca

Sussex and Australorp breeds

Searching for free range chicken breeds, this two caught my attention.

is anybody have some experience to share, pros and cons ?

Thanks

I've kept a lot of different breeds over the years.  Australorps are one of my top picks.  Very hardy and do very well as free range birds.  The roosters get big, and are extremely protective of the flock. 

Hi Caca,

I've kept both in the past.

Light Sussex are a heavy soft-feathered breed.  They don't lay as many eggs as the Australorp but they can be a very useful table bird if you can acquire good utility stock.

Australorps are a medium-sized soft -feathered bird and they are a good all-rounder......plenty of eggs and reasonable table qualities.  They are an Australian breed (as the name suggests) and they have a reputation for robustness.

You can cross a Light Sussex hen with a Rhode Island Red cockerel and the female chicks will be a buff colour and the male chicks will be yellow.  This facility......known as auto-sexing........is particularly handy because you can rear the females (nice and slowly) for egg production while banging a good high protein ration into the males - to develop them as table birds.

Sex-linking/auto-sexing is possible with many breeds.

Be careful when you go shopping for chickens.  Some breeds are so finely selected (to meet a show standard) that they are virtually useless as utility birds.....they'll often lay very few eggs and the cockerels will be barely able to breed.  Your best option is a breeder of utility (working) stock......and preferably one who free ranges his birds - so that you know that they will perform in a backyard or small-holding.

Gary