Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Don Davis

From Portsmouth, Virginia USA

3 posts in this topic

Greetings, I am a newbie searching out the possibilities of doing aquaponics in by backyard, seeing if it can go beyond that. I will be also researching how this can be used in poor areas of the world. So in short - researching as much as I can and doing some possibility thinking.

I plant to construct a small backyard unit in the next few months. I am looking forward to learning all I can. Thanks to this forum, I think I can glean a lot and hopefully save myself from costly mistakes.

Don

Strategic Church Network

Hi Don,

Welcome. I think your idea to build a small scale system in your backyard first is excellent. Sometimes we need to see it with our own eyes first - to believe that it works.

Aquaponics would work very well in the third world but it does require quality infrastructure to make it viable in the long run. Reliable pumps, stable supply of electricity, well made tanks, clean water and someone to harvest and plant vegetables and understand the dynamic that nature requires to make it all work so well. Sourcing some of these requirements might be difficult in some countries - but not impossible. Opportunity to AP Education is probably the key.

Thanks for the wisdom. I am encouraged by what I have seen via the web so far. And you are right - I need to learn by getting my hands dirty - or should I say wet!