Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishfood

fishfoods system

342 posts in this topic

Hi Milne,

I think you got a bargain, too. Will you set it up on legs?

Gary

realy havent planned that yet just to good of a bargan to miss

Picked the onions and schallots from the 2 = 1 metre square wicking beds today so now bottling time

these were grown in straight coco coi

Hi

(Its Jan)Thanks for the pics Fishfood, that is certainly an impressive pile of onions. Still prefer the potatoes though!

I have never been a fan of pickled onions. When we had our hotel in SA they were very a popular over the bar sale item. In fact so were toasted cheese and onion sandwiches.

Do you have a favourite recipe you could share with us? I remember someone (Hamish I think) posted a cucumber recipe, it was very popular.

Bear

Went to my hydro mate yesterday to get a bag of hydrotron telling him about my system and wicking beds with coco coir and he said do you want more yep :lol: result 46 =50 litre bags of used coco coir

Came home today after 5 days 4 nights away to an empty sump pump screaming in protest and this funny looking fish swimming in the 2 in water that was there [ brown body with black head]

best part was being chift pist 4 fish tanks were full no problems

Oh yea reason for the water loss something knocked a tap and diverted the water on the ground

Only thing i see was the ex strawberry tower now a herb bed looked a bit sad [wilted ]

Hi FF,

A couple of years ago, I went into my shed and found a similar situation........but the tank was full of fish.

Fortunately, I discovered it before it became critical. It was another of those occasions when I was glad I was running jade perch.

I agree with you that the really nice thing about CHOP (CHIFT PIST) systems is that they avoid the problem of empty fish tanks.

Gary

Man i am stuffed drove misses and daughter in law around quilting shops today [ballarat , Bacchus Marsh ,Gisborne ]

All was not lost in ballarat went and got fishfood [ its gone up to $75.00 for 30 kg and they only had 4mm]

Went to the fish farm and saw next years trout 100000 1/2 in long and there new breeding setup wiith 300000 eggs all bubbling away [if in Ballarat on saturday morning its well worth a visit ]

Called at Jims bunningyong saw his setup still powering along

Checked His new beer fridge [drool] he gave me some red rubarb to plant and a couple of pumpkins Thanks jim

Then back to Baccus March and called at Quachy s place [ slacky hasent done any more to the brick oven]

His system is running very nice and the fish in his 3 chift pist ibc/s realy look like they are enjoying life

those cat fish are big

Gees time for a manna nap

Just had a look back my system started 4 years ago Its still running on the original pump the grow beds have never been cleaned , From original design the system has just been added to [2000 to 5000 litres]

Hi Milne,

Increasing the size of your system would certainly have impacted its resilience.

How many fish are you running in the system at the moment.

Gary

Hi Gary atm 50 rainbow trout 7 in long 20 rainbow some brown trout over 1 kg each 10 silvers 3 in to 10 in 15 jade perch 6 to7 in long

Hey photos are back! We can stop having a go at Gary now and get back to posts about fish!

Awesome FF! And I bet he will be well received on the plate!

Congratulations FF.....great looking fish.

Hey photos are back! We can stop having a go at Gary now and get back to posts about fish!

A wonderful idea.....and one that I heartily endorse.

Gary