Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kellenw

Fish Cleaning how to videos something you'd be interested in?

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! Often, one of the more daunting things for first time aquaponic growers is the thought of having to harvest and clean their fish at some point. I've always taken that for granted because I grew up with a fishing pole in my hand and a fillet knife in my tackle box. It never seemed odd to me that I'd be cleaning fish from my AP system, because catching and cleaning fish has been a normal thing for me for as far back as I can remember. However, a lot of folks start out in aquaponics with no prior fishing and/or fish cleaning experience, and I imagine the thought of having to do it the first time is a bit "uncomfortable".

So, I was thinking about putting together a few videos on fish cleaning methods. Would you guys be interested in that?

That and maybe other tips like bleeding some types, or overnighting others in clean water etc. Any of the tips and tricks discovered and/or adapted by fishermen over the centuries. I'd be interested in whether people have tried salmonids in salt water prior to harvesting to improve taste. Or Barra for that matter.

But cleaning is something many people will never have seen (and some may decide to never do again :D) so cleaning and filleting would be of value I think.

Definitely! I'm one of those folks who has never fished, let cleaned and prepped some fish. I should be starting my harvest before Thanksgiving, so some videos now would be helpful and in my case, quite timely.