Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goat lady wanna b

Just Joining from Clarksville TN

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Aquaponics. I haven't started my first system yet. I have started getting stuff together but I guess I am afraid of starting. I have a 10 gallon tank and haven't decided what to use for the grow tanks. Actually, I am not sure as to how much growth area would be correct for this size tank. I put guppies in the tank as they are fast breeders. I'm not sure how to determine, how many fish to how many plants or if that is a calculateable amount.

Thank you in advance for all your help,

Goat Lady Wannna B

Welcome!

With such a small system, you are minimizing your monetary risks, so I wouldn't be too concerned with just jumping in. You could try an inexpensive planter box/pot that fits over the FT, and just pump the water from your filter into the GB. This would be filled with media, and then just flow back to the FT. An easier alternative would be to get some net pots that you either float in the FT, or set above the tank, but make contact with the water. These could have greens and the roots would just grow into the tank.

Take care of your water quality for your fish, treating it like a simple aquarium setup, and the plants will just be a bonus - simple approach which will give you the opportunity to learn and expand later as you experience success and the addiction takes a greater hold. :D

Hi Goat Lady,

Welcome to Aquaponics Nation.

You'll find this thread helpful in navigating your way around APN......and my other web sites.

Regards......Gary

Hey, neighbor.

I think you would be best served to have 15-20 gal of grow beds for your 10 gal tank. If you buy gravel or lava rock at the hardware store, a cubic foot is about 7.5 gallons. Gravel (I like river rock) usually comes in 0.5 cf bags and is heavier than lava rock, which is usually the same price for a 1 cf bag. Any number of planters or plastic bins would work for grow beds, but avoid the transparent plastic.

A small pond pump would work for you. I've used these in a couple of small indoor systems: http://www.lowes.com/pd_58695-60084-FP155_0__?productId=3036184

You can get black tubing and fittings in the same section of the store or in the yard irrigation section.