Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GaryD

A Different Kind of BSF Harvester

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

Gizmag features this article about a new approach to breeding BSF flies and growing their larvae.....this time as a human food source.

Gary

Interesting. I wonder how much that device costs. The BSF pods that are currently on the market are nice, but quite pricey.

Yep, that's one of the one's I've looked at, as well as, the larger version. It seems nicely designed, but $170 seems high for a small plastic container. Maybe I'm getting too frugal in my years, but not really keen on spending that much for something that seems so inexpensive to make.

I tend to agree Ed. I like the Biopod a lot, and appreciate that it fills the role nicely for those who want a turnkey solution... but those who are DIY inclined can make a BSF composter and harvester for much less cost.

I was tasked with demoing the unit for Chris, so I got a very nice discount on mine (it was free... hehe).

Lol. That price I wouldn't mind paying, but when I can make something that serves the same purpose for $10, I think that the premium would be a bit high for the neat, aesthetic value.

I hear ya. I'm a DIY guy myself.

It seems like most people who get Biopods plan to put them right outside a kitchen door or otherwise close to the house, so they want something that looks "pretty".

Hi,

I've had a BioPod for several years now and they're very good at what they do. My unit is the older upright one.

I actually prefer the model in Kellen's post......it's very similar to a design that we produced in our very early BSF days.

It seems like most people who get Biopods plan to put them right outside a kitchen door or otherwise close to the house, so they want something that looks "pretty".

They will only do that so long as they watch what they put into the BioPod very carefully. If you add the wrong things (dairy, meat/fish scraps, etc), there will be times when you would not want one of these things within a furlong of your back door.

Gary

the thing I like about the BSF harvester in the OP is that is has an area for the adults. We don't have many adult flies around here, so getting colonies started is difficult. But, if we could keep a few adults contained to keep breeding, that would solve that issue.

Hi Abe,

We ensure that we have lots of adults about by releasing some of the harvested larvae into adjacent garden areas, Once the larvae morph into flies they will fly to an adjacent tree or shrub to mate.

My BioPod went quiet for a week or so after I moved it but a quick inspection this morning revealed that it is full of larvae again.

Gary

I'm not sure I have a lot of wild ones around me, because I am several miles from other people/food source. But yes, keeping some adults around is a good idea. My last batch got going pretty well, but lack of moisture and attention killed them off. I have more poultry now, so I need to start one back up and see if I can attract any adults.

I wish someone bottled the pheromone to get a colony started.

Hi Abe,

I've always found that they will come if you create the circumstances.....mild to warm weather and a source of putrefying food. I've had compost bins almost full of kitchen wastes....and then, suddenly, the contents of the bin go black and rapidly reduce in volume. That's the sign that they've arrived.....and it's never failed for me.

I wish someone bottled the pheromone to get a colony started.
The next best thing is to get some of the liquor out of an operating BioPod.

Apparently, it attracts the female fly to mate and set up house. It should be handled carefully since it has the opposite effect on human females who will definitely will not want to mate and will instead want to throw you out of the house.

Gary

Ah, the ladies don't always understand the allure of the liquid gold that comes out of a compost bin/BSF bin.

My BSF experiments haven't taken off since I'm not sure if the weather were I live gets too cold for them. A friend a few towns away gets them in her compost bin, and has offered some, but I haven't had the time to set them up. Maybe next summer.

The next best thing is to get some of the liquor out of an operating BioPod.

yeah, I agree, but unfortunately for me, I'm the only person keeping BSF for a 200 mile radius (that I know of)