Sign in to follow this  
morrie

Jumbo Coturnix Quail

Seems to be - a Google brings up any number of references to them. Makes me rethink the idea of quail - it's been the tiny size of them and the endless processing to feed even a couple of people that has put me off the idea.

Hi Mark,

Seems to be - a Google brings up any number of references to them. Makes me rethink the idea of quail - it's been the tiny size of them and the endless processing to feed even a couple of people that has put me off the idea.
There's nothing that will put anything like the amount of food on the table......for a given footprint and timeframe.....that quail will.

Japanese quail eggs can be used in number of ways. I use them in soups and salads and as snacks. The meat can be prepared in hundreds of ways.....from marinating and grilling.....and smoking......or roasting......virtually any way you might cook chicken.

Gary

:D Yes, I realise that Gary. My objections have been to do with the sheer numbers of birds to clean (or eggs to peel) to get a similar amount of meat (or egg) to that of one average sized chicken (or egg) - seems to me these Jumbo birds would go a long way to reducing those figures.

Hi Mark,

- seems to me these Jumbo birds would go a long way to reducing those figures.
It depends on how "jumbo" the jumbo quail actually are.

The term "jumbo" is often used (by novices) to describe what turn out to be just ordinary Japanese quail. I'm not saying that "improved" strains of Japanese quail don't exist....but they are not common. The only way to determine if they are the real deal is to inspect the breeding stock....and the growers at various stages.....and to know the fresh dressed weight of the processed birds.

Having said that, they don't take much effort to de-feather and eviscerate once you get into the swing.......and particularly if you happen to have access to a plucking machine.

The eggs can be a drag if you're doing them on a daily basis (we normally save them for two or three days), but we've found shelling the eggs much easier by using white vinegar to remove the shells (leaving only a leathery membrane to peel off).

The real benefit of breeding and rearing Japanese quail is that you can produce your own gourmet meat and eggs........virtually anywhere - including basements, apartments.....live-aboard boats. You can even take your quail on camping trips.....so that you can eat fresh game whenever you want.

Anyway, 'scuse my enthusiasm for quail. While they're acknowledged everywhere as gourmet food, it's the potential that they offer as a protein source for malnourished communities, that excites me.

While aquaponics is touted as being a prospective food solution for hungry or undernourished people, Integrations involving quail and plants are much more viable than those of fish and plants. Aside from the fact that quail produce meat and eggs so quickly (relative to how quickly one can grow fish), quail rations are more readily produced at the local level.....using sustainable ingredients - much of which can be grown by oneself.

Anyway, having bored everyone senseless with my passion for quail, I'll endeavour to get back on topic.

I'd be very happy to come across male and female lines that had been successfully selected for meat production and rapid weight gain.....for the reasons that you've nominated. I'd follow them up......and ask some questions.

Gary

One of the sites mentioned 300gm per bird. It also said not all jumbo eggs produce jumbo birds so it does sound like a selected breeding program is running, with throwbacks every so often. I'll see if I can find the site again.

EDIT: This forum post mentions the size - haven't found the site that mentioned both size and that not all eggs would give jumbos.

Edited by Journeyman (see edit history)

Hi,

Morrie posted this link.....with a question as to whether it was for real.

I phoned these folks and arranged that, as soon as I could find the time, I'd pay them a visit.

They claim that their birds are jumbos......and they quoted egg and carcass weights that, if correct, would support their claim.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Gary