Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kellenw

Forum maintenance - If you have problems with the forum contact me

21 posts in this topic

Hello fellow APHQ Members,

I'm currently doing some forum maintenance that will likely go on for at least a couple of weeks. The forums will continue to function as normal, but if you experience any issues with the forum, please let me know via PM, by posting on this thread or sending me an email to problems@aquaponicshq.com. I set this email up today just for this purpose, and it will go away once I'm done with the maintenance tasks, but please feel free to email me if you have any problems.

Thanks!

Hi Kellen

I just had a 508 message when trying to read a post :

[h=1]Resource Limit Is Reached[/h] The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later.

cheers

Thanks for the report ande. That particular one happens when site traffic is high enough that it maxes out the allotted CPU resources for the site. There are currently a LOT of spam bots trying to get into APHQ, but they are being blocked for the most part. Unfortunately, they still use up resources when being blocked. Occasionally, enough of them hit precisely at the same time to cause a temporary error like you've seen. Please let me know if you have any other problems. It will help me improve the site for everyone. :)

Hi Kellen,

First of all......a public expression of appreciation for your efforts......thank you, thank you, thank you!

Your work appears to be yielding a dividend already - with a considerable reduction in the volume of spam bot traffic - down from a peak of 879 a week ago.....to 120 - 130 in recent days.

Gary

No problem guys. Happy to help. :)

I did some more work this evening, the most important of which was fixing the search engine friendly URL function of the forum which had been messed up SEVERELY by one of the last guys who did some work for Gary. It appears to be functioning correctly now and should greatly improve APHQ's search engine ranking. However, it does take some time for google and the like to index the site, so it won't become apparent overnight. Hopefully, we'll see APHQ back on that first page of google soon though. :)

Hi,

Those who were on the forum at around 0700 AEST would have noticed that we had just 73 "guests"......the lowest number that I can recall.

That suggests that Kellen's efforts are paying off.

Thanks again, mate.

Gary

Hi,

Forum operation will be interrupted for a few hours.....sometime today......as we endeavour to shift the forum to a new server.

......but that's not all.

There's a new forum name, new logo and other exciting stuff to talk to you all about.....but we'll focus on getting the forum functioning on the new server......and then, when we're back on the air again.....we'll tell you all about the other stuff.

Sorry 'bout the inconvenience.

Gary

Good work guys. Looking great and hope all goes well on the tech end :)

Hi Ande,

Thanks for pointing this out. Unfortunately, there is an incompatibility issue with the newer version of vBulletin (the forum software) and the thanks/like plugin. I have disabled the plugin for now, just to avoid confusion, and I'll look into a suitable replacement. Thanks again! :)

Oh sweet. I thought your problem was with VIEWING/DOWNLOADING pics not posting them [head slap]. hehehe

Hi kellenw/admins

The internal links posted to the old APHQ site does not redirect to the proper post/thread at APN

Exsample: Garys link in this post #3 http://www.aquaponicsnation.com/forums/threads/6144-Suckeruppa?p=33055&viewfull=1#post33055

if you click on it it takes you here: http://www.aquaponicshq.com/forums/showthread.php/1312-The-Queenslander?p=26428&viewfull=1#post26428

If you click on the link in the info meassage it takes you to the new main page and not to the actual thread/post linked to in the old forum (HQ)

cheers

We have moved the Aquaponics HQ forums to AquaponicsNation.com. Please go to http://aquaponicsnation.com/forums and login with your existing APHQ username and password. If you have any problems, please feel free to email me (Kellen) at problems@aquaponicsnation.com or problems@aquaponicshq.com. Thanks! - Kellen - See more at: http://www.aquaponicshq.com/forums/showthread.php/1312-The-Queenslander?p=26428&viewfull=1#post26428

Hi Kellen,

Here's another one for you. For some reason, several posts (about six I think) of Edmolina's posts (over a window of two or three days) found themselves in the moderation system. They didn't contain much in the way of links.

This was just one example.

I just OK'd them. Any ideas?

Gary

For the old links that used the aquaponicshq.com domain as part of the url, I'll have to write a rewrite script to get them to point to the correct location. Some really old ones will probably still not work because we changed the url structure about 5 months ago... I'll try my best to get those to work too, but it might be beyond my abilities. Long story short... the mods and ambassadors may need to do some housekeeping on those as they are discovered by editing the posts and linking the "new" correct link.

The moderation queue is an odd one. I have been working with Ed on this for the last several days, and the odd thing is that we've changed nothing with regard to the spam filter. I've been checking into it, but I think it just has something to do with our recent upgrade to the latest version of vB 4 (we are not using vB 5), and how they may have altered the automated spam filter system.

Long term, Gary has decided to move the forums to a more robust platform, and the majority of these problems will cease to exist once that upgrade occurs. However, it is really expensive. I'm planning to handle the migration which will cost us nothing, but the software purchase cost is fairly significant. Gary has already said he'll handle it out of pocket, but I'm thinking about starting a "pass the hat" campaign to see if we can, as a community, help a bit with the costs. Thoughts?

Hi again kellen

I would probbably chip in a donation if a campaign was started as it is my favorit forum, if it happens I think it is important that it's wolunter, and that it dosen't lead to any limitations for the members that dosent have the money to spend/donate.

Have you looked in to the way BYAP is financing the forum ? If you don't log in there, it is ads poping up beetween the posts, could that be a way to go for APN?

cheers

Hi,

While I appreciate the idea of donations, I'm willing to continue to fund APN as part of my ongoing work around integrated backyard food production.

I'll probably use APN as the base for my various blogging and subscription site activities.....so things will sort themselves out financially over time.

I also have to say that I'm not a huge fan of having Google advertisements in the midst of the threads......I think it detracts from the the user experience.

As Kellen indicated, we're probably up for one more major move with the forum - to a platform other than vBulletin. Once that happens it clears the way for me to amalgamate all of my sites.

Gary

Hi Gary

I agree that ads are anoing but at BYAP they dissapere if you register and log in, so you can make them vanish by choise.

I wish you still sold a hard copy of the Urban Aquaponics Manual to me that would be nice to have in my bookshelf and also somthing to buy as a gift for a few people on line subscripsions to magazines etc. is not my "thing" but buying a manual, magazine, book....... I do frequently, also easyer to give away or share amongst friends or like minded IMO.

Have you considered doing both a online and a hardcopy ?

cheers

Hi Ande,

I agree that ads are anoing but at BYAP they dissapere if you register and log in, so you can make them vanish by choise.
I didn't grasp that initially......and perhaps that might make a difference. I'll give it some more thought.......and I'd welcome other opinions.

I wish you still sold a hard copy of the Urban Aquaponics Manual to me that would be nice to have in my bookshelf and also somthing to buy as a gift for a few people on line subscripsions to magazines etc. is not my "thing" but buying a manual, magazine, book....... I do frequently, also easyer to give away or share amongst friends or like minded IMO.

Thank you......and it's a valid observation.
Have you considered doing both a online and a hardcopy ?
The short answer is....yes!

I'm embarrassed to say that recent demands on my time have outstripped supply......to the point where consistency (one of my favourite business principles) has become an issue for me.

We're looking at how we can most effectively integrate our various interests......and our micro-publishing remains a high priority. There's a growing number of aquaponics publications and information sources around.....and we've always been at the pinnacle of the game. Each incarnation has been a benchmark relative to the times in which it occurred. Not everyone is excited about that fact......particularly since I've never been afraid to take a different view around aquaponics.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, as the only aquaponics publication to have undergone a second (much less a third) revision, the Urban Aquaponics Manual is again ready for change......both in terms of its content - and its delivery systems. The aquaponics marketplace is a very different place now to what it was when I first published the Manual in 2007......and the next iteration of the Urban Aquaponics Manual will have to reflect that reality.

Part of this whole process is about finding out what people want.

Gary