lukeboshier

My Winter Trout System

I decided to separate the trout into 2 devisions according to weight. Basically I noticed a handful of monster fish getting all the food and the stragglers being pushed off.

worked out well until I noticed 2 of the largest trout in the stragglers end having a serious go at each other.

after an hour of this I decided to call a time out and threw one into the larger trout end. Peace has returned.

Hi Luke,

Trout (like most other carnivorous species) often get to be very large compared to their siblings by snacking on them. These fish are referred to as "bolters." I was always taught that territorial carnivores are best grown (as fingerlings) in a very tight space so that their territorial/bullying tendencies are suppressed.

Even when the smaller fish get to be large enough - to no longer be regarded as prey by the larger fish - they still get bullied. If they won't take food (try mixing some minced up trout meat) with the pellets to see if that spurs their interest. If you can't bring them around, harvest the small ones and mince them up and feed them to the large ones.

Gary

the Trout who devour them with brutal relish. It is a joy watching Trout feed, very primal compared to the docile manner of Tilapia.

I'm not sure if my blue tilapia are more aggressive eaters than your tilapia, or if the trout are that much more ravenous, but I am amazed at how my tilapia get at feeding. They churn the water, pushing each other out of the water in their frantic attack at the food.

Howdy Ed,

I got my hands on some Niloticus/Mozambicus cross bred Tilapia (dubbed superfish in these parts) that are a lot more ravenous come eating time than plain Mozambicus, but nothing like the predatory action of trout- they are like mini great white sharks in a feeding frenzy! I will try video the action one of these days.

regards

Hey Luke,

System is looking great!! I just had a couple of questions for you.

What is your average water temperature? Are there any special constraints to consider when raising trout as opposed to tilapia? Are you going to attempt to breed them at some point? Is trout breeding more difficult than tilapia?

Maybe all these questions can be answered by this next question: Do you have a good source of info on raising trout in tank culture?

Thanks!

J

Hi J

the water fluctuates between 14 and 17 degrees Celsius. I am still in the learning faze but it would seem a combination of high dissolved oxygen and velocity are important factors. actually i really think that Tilapia are a more forgiving option whereas Trout require specifics. So a DO of above 8mg/l seems important and a well balanced pH important. Clearly having a large amount of my water flowing through my system makes it appealing for Trout, whereas i only recirculate a smaller amount into my grow beds.

A friend has described the extremely pure water required for successful breeding, possibly something for future endeavors once i get a firm grip on things.

regards luke

post-7452-13795791551893_thumb.jpg

Trout took a leap into the 700g range. Am in the process of turning the entire top tier of the system into an algae production area, for Tilapia feed. Am busy adding an entire mushroom fruiting area above the pond due to the success of the mycofiltration experiment.

Hi Ande,

the temperatures are too warm now for trout as they do not like to feed above 18'C. I ate/froze what i needed and the rest threw into my neighbors dam which is deeper than 5meters, the temperature down there are sufficient for them to be comfortable. i saw one jump the other day and estimate it to be over 2kg's.

much regards luke

I notice you have stopped posting, just and the reading was getting intersting.  At what temperature are you keeping your water?  Since the project started, how has your feed content evolved or are you still feed the same mix as you started with?  What proportions do you use in the feed.  I am looking to do  trout system starting this fall and need to get smart before I put critters at risk!

I notice you have stopped posting, just and the reading was getting intersting.  At what temperature are you keeping your water?  Since the project started, how has your feed content evolved or are you still feed the same mix as you started with?  What proportions do you use in the feed.  I am looking to do  trout system starting this fall and need to get smart before I put critters at risk!

Perhaps I can help here. Been successfully growing trout for 3 yrs and our water temps range from 45F to 70F so they are really more adaptable than we are led to believe. I have been cautioned to not use too many fatty foods like night crawlers so I use them as a treat. Been using Trophy feed from TSC mostly. Shame really as we are over run here with night crawlers and other earthworm species. A quick range around the chicken yard picking up planks, etc. will fill a coffee can in short order. I use swirl/biofilters on the 2 330g trout tanks (out of 5 FTs for now) to clarify the water without having to up the system water flow to the GBs. That has worked well. Unless you are loaded it can take yrs to get all the system equipment designed and installed so start with the basics but plan for the future. Btw, I use full IBCs for FTs and just cut a 36" by 12" lid on the front with 4 say 1/2" "hinges" left uncut. Works out great and no trout have ever jumped out. Leaves plenty of room to feed, harvest and view at no $ cost.

Smokey, Thanks for the information.  First off, where in TN are you, we are in Clayton, NC and make trips to Asheville frequently. 

You mention using swirl filters.  I have tried to make one and wasn't  successful.  It did a fine job of circling but the solids didn't go to the bottom.  Can you recommend a product or share a design that you know is successful?