lukeboshier

My Winter Trout System

Gave a final push yesterday, been a lot of distractions in the Bio-digestion and Mushroom department, and am very exited at the result. System is very simple, pond is 6mx1mx1m and cycles 125L every 15min so thats about 12 000L in 24 hours.

Will be picking up the Trout in a couple of hours.

post-7452-13795791389487_thumb.jpg

regards luke

Yea, i thought so too, but thats what the dude called them. I agree they are really beautiful, i have always thought T.Sparrmanii beautiful but these take the prize. It is my first journey down this avenue and am really exited, specially the thought of Sushi in the Spring!

no i just mix together, cook it and then feed it through an old hand mincer, wait for it to dry and break it up into pellets. Definitely going BSF lava in the spring though! APHQ member Francois will be getting a visit from me in the winter, he seems to have had great success.

Tested my DO and found it not sufficient (6,5) for Trout so went the "Gary Route" and converted to through flow... now sitting at 7,5. Would like 8 and maybe a new pump is the way to go. Also seeing nice growth in the various veggies i have in the system, still early to really get a picture as the soil in the pots is pretty fertile. will keep adding pots everyday, can take about 350 of them.

post-7452-13795791427337_thumb.jpg

post-7452-13795791426847_thumb.jpg

Oxymeter is reading 8,7 mg/L value for DO, much better and Trout are really active.

I lost a bee hive due to moth infestation, well they moved off to another catch box so technically never lost but inconvenienced. The moths are all fat grubs in cacoons now, well were- they are providing an exellent protein/fat supliment for the Trout who devour them with brutal relish. It is a joy watching Trout feed, very primal compared to the docile manner of Tilapia.

Hi lukeboshier.

120mm fingerlings are the way to go if you can get them. I used to start with small fingerlings however I now buy yearlings, it certainly saves a lot of time. Trout are by far my favourite fish to keep in aquaponics.

Cheers

Joey

Luke,

What was your rationale behind going with only 30 fish? Not enough GB to support more, keeping tight on filtration, concerned about water quality, other? I ask b/c you have such a large talk and what seems to me like very light stocking. I am considering trout for a similar outdoor system next year, but don't consider the effort/costs worth it for me if I have to keep such low stocking rates.

Also, your tank is elongated which I assume is b/c trout like to swim/exercise and this is a more river-like setup, but a good part of your return is right near your FT outlet. Do you still get a decent flow rate along the channel?

Regards,

Eddie

Hi Ed,

i went light to learn, having never done trout before I wanted to get a clear idea on their nature habits etc. also my feed of tilapia fry is limited, next year will be better, probably go 100. I am in no hurry, I have also integrated the Trout system with my main pond and then into my duck pond which ends up going through the Terraquaponics system. No problems with Ammonia DO and veggies are thriving.

i have a 40mm pipe that runs along the base of the raceway that is perforated and picks up solids, removes and dumps in duckpond which has natural filtration before moving on.

trout are averaging 28cm and 310g after 1 month... Very slippery customers!

post-7452-13795791462118_thumb.jpg

Regards Luke

Thanks Luke. I'll continue to follow this with much interest, as I may borrow from your experience in the future. I have a 3'x16' area in a hoop house, which is only covered part of the year, that may fit the bill.

Beautiful looking fish btw - looks delicious!

Hi Luke

looking good, what did you use on the raceway run as a finish on the clay did you go with the tadelakt or something else.

cheers

Hi Ande, thanks it has been very enjoyable- I, after much failing, coated it with a paint used in fibreglass pond production. I had some over from my 4x4 system, it has worked really well. Not the finish I was hoping for but will be going with the tadelakt on the integrated rabbit hutch.

hi Callum, right now I am feeding Tilapia fry and guppies, maggots and any other fatty looking bugs I can find. I feed them twice a day. I am roughly trying to keep to a 1% of over all average mass, about 90g a day.

any more jumpers and I am going to put a shade net over.