Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dl4jones

Hello fellow Aquaponics affininato's

7 posts in this topic

Got interested in Aquaponics a couple of months ago. Built my self a small system here in Carlsbad CA. The grow beds are two 15 gal concrete mixing trays with a 30 gal trash can for a FT and a surge tank.

Presently the system is cycling with no fish. The ammonia started about .5 but has gone up to 8. The NO2 has come up to .25 after 4 weeks. No NO3. Ph started at about 8 but has dropped to 6. Not sure what my next step is.

Also the bell siphons don't work consistently. 3/4 stand pipes, 1 1/2 bells, 4" gravel guards. They often fail to either start to drain or or stop draining. Tried lots of tricks, no luck.

Next steps?

Dennis

Greetings Dennis The grow beds aren't made of concrete are they? I attached a PDF file about bell syphons that may be of interest. I built mine using their instructions and they have worked wonderfully. Different size tanks require different size syphons. My only problem was in adjustment of water flow into the beds. There is a certain flow required for the syphon to break. How did you start cycling without fish? Tom

Hi Dennis and welcome! My first system was F&D and I had to adjust the bell siphons periodically, to much frustration. My current system is continuous sub-surface flow, and I would highly recommend this. No worries, and always works like a charm. Perhaps you can convert, which should be easy enough. Otherwise, Affnan is widely recognized as the authority on bell siphons.

Hi Tom,

The grow beds aren't made of concrete are they?
No, they are plastic tubs used for mixing small batches of concrete.
How did you start cycling without fish?
By using a process called fishless cycling.....or nitrogen dosing. Use the Search facility to find out more......or ask specific questions.

Gary

Hi Dl4j

Welcome to APHQ

Ph started at about 8 but has dropped to 6. Not sure what my next step is

Next steps?

Dennis

IMO you should try raising the Ph, to make a more ideal environement for the nitrifying bacteria promoting their growth. (up to the Ph 7- 7,5 range) your present level is inhibitting or slowing the prosess.

Since you are fishless you can't stress any fish, so this is a nice time to experiment in adjusting the Ph.

Try raising it in small steps (no more than 0,2 at a time) as if you had fish in the system.

Make notes of your dosing/result and you will have a formula,(dosage mix), when/if the need ocure(likely) to raise the Ph, with fish in the system, in the future.

cheers