Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
callum

backups

10 posts in this topic

So I'm feeding my trout at 5% per day in with about 3% in the morning density at ~16kg/m3 and just after feeding them this morning and heading off to work the power has gone off and i haven't installed my back up air pump though have the back up water going. my wife has told me they are all gasping at the surface and 4 have died :(

So i'm thinking ill be coming home to a lot of dead fish when i finish work...

Figured I'd make a thread to see other people back up configurations etc solar / battery / generator etc.

also just a quick question if they are still safe to eat or not?

they're all about 30cm so it wouldn't be that much of a waste if so....

Hi Callum,

So I'm feeding my trout at 5% per day in with about 3% in the morning density at ~16kg/m3 and just after feeding them this morning and heading off to work the power has gone off and i haven't installed my back up air pump though have the back up water going. my wife has told me they are all gasping at the surface and 4 have died frown.gif

So i'm thinking ill be coming home to a lot of dead fish when i finish work...

Figured I'd make a thread to see other people back up configurations etc solar / battery / generator etc.

Some quick action on your wife's part could have made all the difference. Giving some basic training to family members can pay useful dividends. A battery and a battery-operated air pump could have delayed the inevitable long enough for you to get home and start fixing things.

If nothing else, they could start scaling and gutting fish in the event that things go pear-shaped.

also just a quick question if they are still safe to eat or not?

they're all about 30cm so it wouldn't be that much of a waste if so....

If they're still kicking at the time that you remove them from the water, there's no problem with processing them.

How did you fare in the end?

Gary

hey so i lost only 4 so far but they have contracted white spot i think but it also looked liek a fungus growing on them ( the dead ones)

just added salt and havent fed them for a few days. im just going to buy a generator haha

Hi Callum,

The White Spot disease is the result of the stress that the fish were exposed to when they ran out of air.

The effective treatment of ICH usually requires salt and temperature but, with trout, you can forget the warmth - so I guess it's going to have to be just the salt. Fortunately, trout will live in sea water (32ppt salt) so we've got plenty of room to move there.

Remind us of how big your system is again......and what your filtration arrangements are.....and I'll see what I can drag together by way of a fix for you. In essence, we're going to have to isolate your fish tank from your growing systems. How's that going to affect you?

Gary

yeah it all runs together

the white spot is looking better but they also have a fungus (milky colored slime) no more trout deaths but a few of the sp finferligns have :(

8000L total water. ive added ~8kg of salt

thanks for the link also ande

and i cant really run the plant side of it w/o the fish but can i just turn the plant side off? leave it with stagnant water for a few days while i 'attempt to cure the fish' ??

Hi Callum,

The size of your system is going to be an issue in the usual small-scale treatment of ICH.... which relies on boosting the temperature to around 25 degrees C and holding it there for several days......in conjunction with the use of salt.

You are not going to be able to get the temperature of your system up to the required temperature but you can raise the salt levels. You could double the amount of salt that you have put in already.....and the plants will still be OK.

The trout can stand salt up to 32ppt (sea water)......but the plants won't go much past 3ppt.

I'd keep adding salt until the ICH disappears. Isolate the plants (put some air stones in with the plants) and focus on your water quality in the interests of the fish.

Gary

thanks for that gary, after reading andes post i ended up putting 50kg of salt in. fish already seem to be doing better (swimming etc but a few still white spots on them)

Hi Callum,

Depending on the number of fish involved, you could set up a quarantine tank (with water adjusted to the correct temperature) and give your fish a bath in that.

I'm sorry I'm not more help to you - I put a lot of effort into trying to ensure that I avoid such problems by equipping my systems with good filtration and plenty of aeration.

Gary