Caveman

Lettuce Shelf Life Issue

We have supplemented some iron and pottasium to our DWC growbed. We adjusted lights and installed timmers. On the table all of our lettuce is now dark green and apparently strong. It is wonderful in flavor and would be great except one problem.

It all wilts within an hour of being removed from the grow bed. I can't sell this to anyone becuase it would be compost before they get it home.

Suggestions?

Thanks for any advice.

I've found that all the lettuce I've grown, whether it be AP or dirt, has a very short shelf life. It's not a problem for me because it goes directly from the garden to my plate. I recall reading somewhere, might even have been Damon on here, that commercial growers dip lettuce heads into ice water right after they pick them. They then shake off the water and package them. Apparently the ice bath will kill any bugs on there and increase the shelf life. I also recall reading somewhere once that lettuce and spinach tolerate frost by draining the water out of their leaves when the temperature drops. Something you might want to try if you want to sell your product.

shelf life of the friendly aquaponics band of lettuce was guaranteed for two weeks in the fridge. lettuce is a delicate thing. when you harvest it, it's best to shock the lettuce by submerging it completely in gold water. the best thing to use is a tub filled with ice water. the temp of the water should be around 40 degrees F for the best results. once the lettuce is shocked it needs to be kept at or around 40 degrees until eaten. this means refrigerated holding on site, refrigerated transportation ad refrigerated storage at the selling space.

also, when harvesting try using a ceramic knife instead of a metallic one. ceramic knives prevent the oxidation at the cutting point.

we didnt vacuum seal our bags or store with any chemicals... just good old fashioned cold water treatment throughout the whole processing, storage and selling points.

they even put a complaint contact number on the bag in case someone did happen across a bag that didn't hold as long as the label said it would... only got one call or e-mail in the year of production, and since we didnt ask for the original bag that the person bought back... we have no way of knowing if there was actually anything wrong with that lettuce or if someone just scored a free bag of $7 mixed greens.

Caveman,

Can you harvest your lettuce and keep the root ball intact?  I harvest mine from the rafts and put them in produce bags with an elastic around the root ball, in the fridge they will last over 2 weeks.  I have stored them for 2 days at 60 F and they still lasted for two weeks.  Once you cut the root ball, I have found that if you do not ice chill and get into a cooler the lifespan is less than a week.  

Clint