crazyharry

Insect polyculture for fish food?

I've read that the fat content in BSFL is too high to make a suitable fish feed on their own, so I've been thinking about experimenting with a combination of BSFL and other easy-to-farm insects to achieve a more suitable fat to protein ratio. I've also read that fish have difficulty digesting the exoskeleton of BSFL, but I wonder if that could be solved by simply running the BSFL through a blender and pelletizing them.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried something like this before and if so, how it went.

Hi Harry,

i blitzed normal fly maggots with Amaranth, Duckweed and flour. i then extruded it through a hand mincer and when completely dry broke it up into pellets. The fish enjoyed it but i found the process a little too.. um.. Hannabal Lecturish. anyway think Tilapia prefer algae etc more.

i also placed a bee hive next to my pond, figured there are 30-40 thousand bees in there copping ever four weeks or so, cant be bad for the fish!

post-7452-13795791282462_thumb.jpg

i've thought of doing crickets, but i don't have the time to start another project, let alone keep up with it..

i've been working with marmokreb crayfish for a couple years now, and i think these will be an outstanding choice for a supplemental feed for my yellow perch, bluegill and even the tilapia - (i've fed/watch my juvenille tilapia eat small crays)

they do fine with a wide range of temps, and from my first crayfish, i'm sure i have at least 100 (probably double that)

a few weeks ago i put 3 "berried" crafish into the pool..i've got probably 100 rosy red minnows from 2 hatchings, but they grow way too slow..

the yp and bg also keep the baby tilapia in check.. i've only had 8 or 10 fry escape the pool into the sump, where i rounded them up and put them in their own tank

Thanks for the responses guys. If this project ever gets off the ground, I'll let you know how it goes, including whether or not I think it's too Hannibal Lecterish for my taste.

Keith, how do those crayfish work out? I'll have to look into those. I've thought about doing crayfish, but it's hard to find sources and I know that there is some concern about them becoming an invasive species. I have thought that it would be kind of nice to have something of the sort, and if they're working well for you, I might have to pick some up myself.

EDIT: Ok, so Marmokrebs are an invasive species all over the place, although according to the article I read, there have been no reports of them in the wild from America. I still kind of want them, but I'm not at all convinced they're a good idea.

Edited by crazyharry (see edit history)

you can find marmokrebs on aquabid, or even craigslist..some fish stores carry them, since they're ok for the aquarium trade

i just cleaned all of my glass tanks out (4 55's, 1 40, 2 20's and 1 10 - gallons) and put a single cray in each tank, i have babies in 1 tank already and 2 or 3 crays in berry..

i was going to stop with the minnows, but found a couple pots loaded with eggs and moved them into one of the 55's, they hatched within a day or so, and now i've got hundreds of fry again, been feeding them yeast until my greenwater cultures gets going

the cray's are much easier to feed and grow fast.. frozen peas, snails and bloodworms