Sign in to follow this  
lukeboshier

Ponds

post-7452-13795791237937_thumb.jpg

After failing to breed T.Mozambicus in a specially built aquarium i tossed them into my pond, mostly out of pure frustration. Low and behold i now have abundant fry to harvest when i need and the fish all feed themselves.

i built the 30m x 6m pond just under two years ago and it is maturing into a wonderful eco system, as well as a pool for the kids.It is fed by a natural spring with around 32 000 liters of water a day.

i mostly posted this to make Gary jealous (i understand you really enjoy ponds), and yes that is my home amongst the trees.

Hi Luke

Nice pond, looks biger than 6x30.

Is it standing lumber logs you have used to line the fare side ?

How deep is it ?

cheers

Hi Ande

at its deepest it is 1,5m.

yes i lay on my side so that the pic would end up right side up, distorted it a bit, but am working on my technique :wink:

the Tilapia hatch and nursery their fry on the other side of the logs, here is a pic from that side- a lot shallower

post-7452-13795791238536_thumb.jpg

regards Luke

oh have a student from Norway here, very decent chap!

i mostly posted this to make Gary jealous (i understand you really enjoy ponds), and yes that is my home amongst the trees.

Keep it up, Luke......my finger is poised on the Delete button.:tongue:

Gary

Dear Luke I have just acquired a 10 acre land for aquaponics. It has a spring stream running through it. Can I use the stream for th e aquaponic system by pumping into the system and recycling it back into the stream instead of fish tanks? There are fish in the stream but I intend to expand it to a 2acre pond with more fish added. I need your expertise on this Please. Thanks