Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
richdavis

Flood, and drain system with media beds.

11 posts in this topic

I would appreciate any help, i am in the process of cycling my system. Which is a 100 gal FT, 40 gal sump, and 2 40 gal GB's. The water temp is 74*, PH is 7.8, and ammonia level is between .5 & 1 ppm i know this is a little high, but i am trying not to use any chemicals, and the comets seem to be thriving. My ?s are once i am cycled how can i safely bring down my PH without killing any bacteria, and is it fesible to add 1 or 2 more GB's to this system? Thanks in advance for any help, or critisism.

Edited by richdavis (see edit history)

Hi Rich,

I would appreciate any help, i am in the process of cycling my system. Which is a 100 gal FT, 40 gal sump, and 2 40 gal GB's. The water temp is 74*, PH is 7.8, and ammonia level is between .5 & 1 ppm i know this is a little high, but i am trying not to use any chemicals, and the comets seem to be thriving.
My ?s are once i am cycled how can i safely bring down my PH without killing any bacteria.....

The pH will drop over time as a normal consequence of nitrification......and the bacteria will survive all the way down to around pH 6.0 (and some below that).

......is it feasible to add 1 or 2 more GB's to this system?

Yes.....you can add another couple of grow beds......assuming you're planning on putting more fish in the tank once you're cycled.

Thanks in advance for any help, or critisism.

I would seriously recommend that you incorporate some simple mechanical filtration into the system.

What sort of lights are you using, Rich?

Gary

Thanks Gary, i am using T5 flourescents 4 55 watt bulb, i think they put out 20,000 lumens. I was planing on a spiral filter if i could add more beds, would that sufice? I will add fish once it is cycled, i have ten now. I was thinking 20-25 total after cycled with 2 more beds. My goal is a 300 gal FT, for blue talapia with my existing FT as the ST, and a total of 6 GB's.

I just wanted to add that i will be changing bulbs in my lights every 6 months, and my GB's have 9" of hydroton under 3" of decorative pea gravel. After washing the poop out of the hydroton, and flooding the system for 3 weeks i couldnt get the gravel to sink. The fith week i did a complete water change, and rinsed the FT, and ST out to make sure it was pretty clean. I cycled the water for 2 more weeks before i added the fish. I had my first reading of nitrites this morning, so it must be working. My GB's cycle on average in 15 min. from start of siphin to start of siphin. It takes less than 90 sec. to drain.

Hi Rich,

I just wanted to add that i will be changing bulbs in my lights every 6 months....

Have you done any cost comparisons between the T5 lights and HPS lights.....taking into account the cost of replacing the tubes. Another thing to consider is that the HPS lights pump out some serious heat.....and this may be something that you can use to your advantage when winter comes around.

and my GB's have 9" of hydroton under 3" of decorative pea gravel. After washing the poop out of the hydroton, and flooding the system for 3 weeks i couldnt get the gravel to sink. The fith week i did a complete water change, and rinsed the FT, and ST out to make sure it was pretty clean. I cycled the water for 2 more weeks before i added the fish. I had my first reading of nitrites this morning, so it must be working.

Do you understand that the term "cycling" means more than just recirculating the water? "Cycling" is the term we use to describe the process of colonising the system with sufficient numbers of beneficial bacteria to be able to convert the ammonia generated by the fish into nitrates.

To have "cycled" you would have needed an ammonia source (or fish) to be in the system.

My GB's cycle on average in 15 min. from start of siphin to start of siphin. It takes less than 90 sec. to drain.

Certainly sounds like that part is working OK. Congratulations!

Gary

Thanks again gary, i'll look into those lights. My system is indoors, and has been steady at 74* water with no heater for the last 2 months, and it has been cold. Yes i understand cycling i guess i should have said circulating. My plants look great dark green, and growing. I have been searching for some of the original seaweed extract, but no one around here seems to carry it, So i guess all i need to do is add that mechanical filter, and was a spiral ok for this, or is another type better. Also i know my fish are small right now, but i have'nt seen any evidence of solids in my sump, or FT for that matter. I do have them both airated pretty good, i have wondered if i have to much airration going on? Thanks for the help, i know you must be busy.

Hi Rich,

Yes i understand cycling i guess i should have said circulating.

No problem.....just checking. Some people find the jargon confusing.

My plants look great dark green, and growing. I have been searching for some of the original seaweed extract, but no one around here seems to carry it...

Maxicrop is a prominent brand in the US. Google it and find out who your local stockist is.

So i guess all i need to do is add that mechanical filter, and was a spiral ok for this, or is another type better.

My personal preference is for the radial flow separator - it's more effective than the swirl filter. Here's a good one.

http://youtu.be/QhpgLj69FPg

.......and here's another one.

Also i know my fish are small right now, but i have'nt seen any evidence of solids in my sump, or FT for that matter. I do have them both airated pretty good, i have wondered if i have to much airration going on?

They'll turn up quick enough. It's possible that things are too busy (due to the amount of aeration). The incorporation of a radial flow separator will provide the water dynamics for the sedimentary solids to settle out.

You need just enough air in the fish tank to just lift the surface (not boil it).

Thanks for the help, i know you must be busy.

Thank you......but, during the past thirty five years, I've received help from many people.....some of whom never even knew they were helping me. Since I can't square up with some of those folk, by doing what I do, I'm paying it forward.

Gary

Great a radial flow it is then, I will dial down my air once i have cycled, and added my filter. Thanks for the help, and i will try to pass it on. My ultimate goal is to help put unhealthy food production company's out of buisness, :wink:.

My ultimate goal is to help put unhealthy food production company's out of buisness, wink.png.

A worthy goal, indeed.