Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
termn8u

Need some help with equalizing water in 2 tanks

11 posts in this topic

Hello.

I have expanded my GBs.. but now have hound that my sump tank is not large enough. No worry.. just dig in another down the way (about 35' away) and put a "U" siphon in... only for some reason the water will only move 1 way for me. When the level in tank 1 is higher than in tank 2, the water will flow to tank 2. But when the water in tank 1 is lower, the water does not flow back to it.

Hopefully somebody has accomplished this feat before and can key me in as to what I need to do to resolve this.

Thanks.

Todd

1st thing is how level are the 2 tanks? If one is lower there may not be enough suction/pressure to bring the water back to the upper tank over such a distance.

Does it have anything to do with the height of the bottom of the pipes? Or just the level of the water?

both pipes are submerged and I have a double 90 on the bottom of each so as to not lose prime.

Siphons can be tricky things. It's the bottom of the siphon that matters, because that's the entry/exit point for the system. If the bottom of your upper tank is higher than the bottom of the siphon in the lower tanks the siphon would work 'downhill' but not 'uphill'. If the bottom of the siphon in the uphill tank is higher than the bottom of the siphon in the downhill tank you reduce the pressure to bring the water back uphill.

I'm not sure the distance IS a factor but it seems logical to me that the weight of water in a 35' tube would require more pressure to move it than in (say) a 2' one.

Hi Todd,

Let's get back to the other problem.......the sump tank that's no longer large enough.

Are you using bell syphons? If so, the inexpensive solution is to remove them and convert your system to subsurface continuous flow.

You won't notice the difference as far as your plants are concerned.......but you'll be able to suffice with a much smaller sump tank.

As far as you fish tanks are concerned, you sound as though you are using a self-leveling syphon (like a inverted "U").

The much more reliable solution would be to just couple them up using UniSeals or bulkhead fittings.......or to put an SLO into each tank and couple them up on the outside.

Gary

Thanks Journeyman and Gary. Gary, is there a post that speaks directly about continuous flow.. water depths? do the plants in the same bed need to be similar root depths? I have 12" deep expanded shale for my grow media. Currently I have 5 - 4' by 8' beds on flood and drain.. (3+ can operate without flooding my sump tank :) )

I've got two rain barrels (a couple of feet apart) that I use as sumps, and have them piped together so they act as one large tank. I'm not sure why you've got a U siphon between them. Perhaps I'm missing something about your setup? Mine have a straight pipe between them and equalize perfectly. Are you using the "U" to avoid putting a hole into the sidewalls of your sump tanks? Depending on what you've used as the tank, the holes might be easier. Though I admit, it took me a bit of work and a lot of silicone to make them watertight. But I used standard PVC fittings. Bulkhead fittings would make that easier.

Thanks Fry.... I Am 35' Apart And Both Are Buried. That Is Why I Was Hoping To Use The "U" Pipe Abovd Ground.

both pipes are submerged and I have a double 90 on the bottom of each so as to not lose prime.

Try taking off the 90's, they increase the backpressure. You will need to pump water through them to purge them after doing that. What diameter pipe are you using? I've done this with 10' but not 35'. There maybe too much head to overcome to have dual flow as it needs fairly good pressure to get going.

Continuous flow with a water depth of 2-3" would eliminate the need for a sump.