lukeboshier

Mead

4 posts in this topic

every year i make a couple of bottles of Mead, really simple.

i put about 1/3 freshly robbed honey with 2/3 warm water, mix in some wild yeast (harvested from grapes) and then the gory bit- use the Brut ( bee larvae) as protein. let that bubble away in a gauze covered jar for a bout 2 weeks, then rack it off into smaller bottles and put balloons on top, pricked with a pin. Once the balloons deflate i seal the bottle and store for about a year... tastes incredible!

post-7452-13795791197625_thumb.jpg

MarinaJub and Robertbab like this

Looks great. I've always wanted to try making mead. I don't have access to fresh honey or bees though.

i think the unfiltered honey is a positive in the process, put some lemons into it once at primary fermentation and the results were very good, very refreshing. but ultimately i am a traditionalist and like the old simple ways. never am able to work out the alcohol content as a hydrometer reads zero, let me assure you it packs a kick!

I had tasted mead a number of times in the past and have to say I was very underwhelmed with the blandness. This is despite some of my relatives of northern eurorean heritage insisting loudly (perhaps the loudness was mead induced) that this was "traditional"..

It was only a few weeks ago that I had one of those lightbulb moments.

I was reading about some of the benefits of managing bee hives without sectioning the queen away from the majority of the hive. There where a few photos of the harvested natural honeycomb with cells that had been used for pollen honey and brood (then refilled with honey) all on the one comb, then they showed the honey press in action with this rich multicoloured mass of stuff running out. The theory is that hives that are building fresh comb and not reusing old honeycomb that has been uncapped and spun are healthier.

Anyway, this big block of wax comes out of the press and is melted in water and the wax is skimmed off. The leftover hot water with all the goodies forms the basis for starting a mead.

Ah-hah!

Now that is more like a traditional method and I would think it would have a complexity and depth of flavour, unlike the watery stuff I had sampled in the past that was made with processed honey.

I think I get it now! I was reading Lukes post about unfiltered honey adding to the flavour and it wasnt quite sinking in before.

Edited by yahoo2 (see edit history)
MarkEinOz likes this