Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WheresCarl

55 Gallon Aquaponics

9 posts in this topic

Alright!! Keep your coins, I want change! We are so happy to be living in a time where more folks are turning a cheek to these huge corporations and looking into what the modern folk like to call "sustainable living." However youd like to put English on it, heres our story.

About 5 years back a friends house burned to the ground, about this time the greenhouse rotted and fell apart and some contractor ran off with all the insurance money. That blows, right? Well let me tell you when I moved in I was quick to realize that folks have been pulling together to rebuild this house. Music Festivals were even thrown on a stage out back, how cool is that.

Lets say I'm driven, I want to open this house to all who inhabit it. I want to get this greenhouse rebuilt and it seems that the one who is going to do it is me. At least as a group the idea is there, sometimes thats all it takes, that and a swing of a hammer. Eventually you get to look back and see people enjoying what you have created, however they are going to enjoy it. The power of suggestion, expectation, love.

Here's The system:

55o GPH Pump

10 Goldfish

Pond Soil/Sand Substrate

35Gal Duck Weed Tank

As the current flows I was having problems with the leaves on the plants turning yellow for 3 or 4 days then turning a deep green and growing substantially. It turns out our well water has a PH of 8.2, holy **** right? Well when I add 5 gallons a week due to evaporation, splash, the plants soakin it up, ect I'm boosting the PH and causing my plants to lock up. (Sound like a good Hypothesis?)

High Range PH 8.2

Ammonia .25

Nitrites .25

Nitrates 90ppm

Pretty sure i'm balanced, i have not seen much fluctuation in ammonia or nitrites.

More Info:

I started the fish tank and stocked it with 10 fish, a month later I added the grow bed, cycled, and planted immediately. I've seen alot of growth but I'm having days of old yeller. (yellow) Let me know what ya'll think i'm going to take a video in a couple days and i'll include the tests as well as an overview of the system. You can also watch last weeks update

Here:Alright!! Keep your coins, I want change! We are so happy to be living in a time where more folks are turning a cheek to these huge corporations and looking into what the modern folk like to call "sustainable living." However youd like to put English on it, heres our story.

About 5 years back a friends house burned to the ground, about this time the greenhouse rotted and fell apart and some contractor ran off with all the insurance money. That blows, right? Well let me tell you when I moved in I was quick to realize that folks have been pulling together to rebuild this house. Music Festivals were even thrown on a stage out back, how cool is that.

Lets say I'm driven, I want to open this house to all who inhabit it. I want to get this greenhouse rebuilt and it seems that the one who is going to do it is me. At least as a group the idea is there, sometimes thats all it takes, that and a swing of a hammer. Eventually you get to look back and see people enjoying what you have created, however they are going to enjoy it. The power of suggestion, expectation, love.

Here's The system:

55o GPH Pump

10 Goldfish

Pond Soil/Sand Substrate

35Gal Duck Weed Tank

As the current flows I was having problems with the leaves on the plants turning yellow for 3 or 4 days then turning a deep green and growing substantially. It turns out our well water has a PH of 8.2, holy **** right? Well when I add 5 gallons a week due to evaporation, splash, the plants soakin it up, ect I'm boosting the PH and causing my plants to lock up. (Sound like a good Hypothesis?)

High Range PH 8.2

Ammonia .25

Nitrites .25

Nitrates 90ppm

Pretty sure i'm balanced, i have not seen much fluctuation in ammonia or nitrites.

More Info:

I started the fish tank and stocked it with 10 fish, a month later I added the grow bed, cycled, and planted immediately. I've seen alot of growth but I'm having days of old yeller. (yellow) Let me know what ya'll think i'm going to take a video in a couple days and i'll include the tests as well as an overview of the system. You can also watch last weeks update

Here:

Much Love to you all.

Also, I'm always down to trade seeds, I only have Organic Burpee seeds (thoughts?) I know theres got to be some die hard hierloomers!! I tink i started a new word ;)

WheresCarl

post-10062-13795791178107_thumb.jpg

post-10062-13795791178695_thumb.jpg

post-10062-13795791179198_thumb.jpg

post-10062-137957911797_thumb.jpg

post-10062-13795791180287_thumb.jpg

post-10062-13795791180875_thumb.jpg

post-10062-13795791181461_thumb.jpg

post-10062-13795791181963_thumb.jpg

post-10062-13795791182528_thumb.jpg

post-10062-13795791183112_thumb.jpg

post-10062-13795791183646_thumb.jpg

post-10062-13795791184204_thumb.jpg

post-10062-13795791184743_thumb.jpg

Carl, just watched your latest YouTube update (#3). What is the purpose of tracking the temp in the GB and FT? Why spend the money on a heater for the fish?

Hello Carl,

Welcome to APHQ. Yes, you're most likely seeing nutrient lockout. The one that is most likely causing your yellowing is iron deficiency. Get yourself some chelated or fulvic iron. Due to the chelation, the iron remains available to the plants even at higher pH. This should help you plug along while you wait for the pH to "naturally" settle in at a more neutral or slightly acidic level.

Again, welcome aboard. Great to have you with us. :)

Carl, just watched your latest YouTube update (#3). What is the purpose of tracking the temp in the GB and FT? Why spend the money on a heater for the fish?

FLorida Chris, Thank you for taking time to watch the vid and read this thread. When i decided to empty out the soil and sand substrate (I thought it was gonna mess with the PH and was becoming a bit cloudy) I ended up stepping on the FT thermometer, that is why you see one in the GB now. As far as the heater goes, yeah, not efficient AT ALL. I'm justifying this by telling myself that i'm going to get a 200watt heater eventually and that this is just a prototype until i got the greenhouse operational. Without the heater the temp sits right around 64 Degrees, this gave me trouble starting seedlings in the GB. Now I sit at 77 and when the growbeds drain the hydrostone cools to about 68 degrees.

Hello Carl,

Welcome to APHQ. Yes, you're most likely seeing nutrient lockout. The one that is most likely causing your yellowing is iron deficiency. Get yourself some chelated or fulvic iron. Due to the chelation, the iron remains available to the plants even at higher pH. This should help you plug along while you wait for the pH to "naturally" settle in at a more neutral or slightly acidic level.

Again, welcome aboard. Great to have you with us. :smile:

Kellenw thanks for watching the video. I've heard of this Chelated Iron, and It makes sense that I have a deficiency if the plants are experiencing nute-lock due to a high PH. And it also makes sense that bacause of the chelation the iron attached will make it to the plants. I dig it, I believe I'll have to pursue this avenue for now until the PH drops. It seems the 8.2 well water will not suffice, i have a natural spring i'll be getting the water fomr and eventually I will build a rain catch.

Thank you for the replies, much love.

No problem! I probably wouldn't worry too much about the high pH of the well water. Our water, including well water and the city water supply, here in the Kansas City area comes out at about 8.2 pH. I actually LIKE that because it helps buffer things up a bit when topping off. As your system matures it will most likely experience a declining pH. This is the most typical situation. It makes having a high pH water source kind of nice down the road.

Edited by kellenw (see edit history)

No problem! I probably wouldn't worry too much about the high pH of the well water. Our water, including well water and the city water supply, here in the Kansas City area comes out at about 8.2 pH. I actually LIKE that because it helps buffer things up a bit when topping off. As the system matures it will most likely experience a declining pH. This is the most typical situation. It makes having a high pH water source kind of nice down the road.

I get what your saying, I have heard this from Ruperto. I noticed a PH drop to 8.0 and the plants were super green, but i topped it off (10%) and it raised right back up. I have clam shells as well to help buffer but mixed with the Limestone well water i just feel like this is a bit much? This can be avoided by finding a different water source...... In other words this may take a bit more convincing for me, lol. It takes about 4 days for the PH to start dropping again. In 2 days I'll have an updated video with the clam shells.

Edited by WheresCarl
grammar edit (see edit history)

Although Calcium Carbonate is Calcium Carbonate however you look at it. I guess what i'm trying to verify is that calcium carbonate does not start to dissolve until a PH of 7.8 is reached, correct? I guess what i'm trying to put into view is that if i keep adding high PH water in theory doesnt this mean the PH will take a long, looong, looong loooong time to come down? And if water keeps evaporating isnt the limestone leftover therefore just adding to the ppm of calcium carbonate already in the system?

You have to keep in mind the chemical processes that occur as nitrifying bacteria do their thing, as well as the nutrient export (which includes calcium) that occurs with the plants. Trust me, it'll go down, unless you have other significant variables involved. ;)