Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NathanLeRoy

Water Pump Or Air Lift

8 posts in this topic

Hey All,

I am trying to make the decision between a water pump or air Lift for our system. We have a 9,435 Gallon floating raft System. 3,580 Gallons of that is fish tanks.

1st Question - How many gallons per hour should it pump? ( My research tells me it should be at least equal to the fish tank volume.correct?)

2nd- Water pump or Air Lift?

Thanks

Hi,

That's a large system.....by APHQ standards. Got any photos?

My likely preference would be for water pumps over airlifts....but the final decision would depend on the layout of the system. Photos of the system would help for me to be able to provide specific advice. Another viable option, given the size of your system, would be an axial flow pump.

As to the flow rate......the capacity of the fish tank per hour would be a good place to start. It does depend, so some extent, on the design of your filtration system.

Gary

Hey Gary,

I attached a Picture of the design. The Green tube is the sump tank and where i need a pump, moving left from there we have one small and Three Large fishtanks, then the Filtration tanks. The first tank is for solid waste, and the Second is the biofiltration. From the filtration Into five 24' raft beds, and back to the sump.

We are finishing up construction this month and hope to start cycling the system in mid April.

Thanks,

Nathan

post-7472-13795791167382_thumb.jpg

Hi Nathan,

Looks interesting......need some photos to get a real perspective on it. We're always hungry for photos.

Are you fish tanks individually plumbed.....or it one large raceway tank with divider in it?

What sort of filtration are you using?

This is either a very large backyard system.......or is it a commercial prototype?

Gary

Hey Gary,

The system is a training system / Prototype for 3rd world application. Trash Mountain Project | Live the Command

As for fish tanks, it is on solid cinderblock tank with cinderblock dividers. They will be plumbed with flow through pipes to prevent overflow and syphons to move waste.

Filtration will be biofill.

I will have to take some good pictures for you this week.

Nathan,

Hi Nathan,

I'm looking forward to those photos.......and kudos to all involved in the Trash Mountain project.

Gary

Hey Gary,

One more question for you.

If we are pumping 3500 GPM,This means that we will have a turnover rate in our biofiltration tank of once every 9 minutes. Is this enough contact time for ammonia conversion?

Nathan,

Hi Nathan,

If we are pumping 3500 GPM,

This means that we will have a turnover rate in our biofiltration tank of once every 9 minutes. Is this enough contact time for ammonia conversion?

Do you mean 3500 gallons per hour? The answer depends a lot on what type of bio-filter you are using, how big it is and the media in use.

Gary