Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rusty1262

Wolfeee's System

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone- thank you for allowing me to join your forum. I live in Northern Virginia, USA- just outside of DC. ABbout a month ago or so I learned about aquaponics and became fascinated. I'm very concerned about the food I consume and the chemicals and GMOs found in the main stream food stream (MSFS). As well as the negative impact that GMOs and old school agriculture have on the planet and our bodies- after all we are ultimately one right? I have almost completed a 12x14x9.5' tall green house (I'll post pics soon) and my plan is to have four IBC tanks/grow beds below and a 3'x14' planting platform across the top taking advantage of my tall ceilings. Ultimately my goal is to have a completely self sufficient, self sustaining, renewable energy fueled aquaponics greenhouse that vastly exceeds my caloric intake requirements.

I'd love to hear anyone's good ideas and helpful hints. Ideally I would like to have the following setup- 5 12v pumps that move 500 GPH, 4 400 watt tank heaters and if possible LED grow lights- the pumps and heaters are a must. I want to raise Blue Talapia due to their tolerance for lower temperatures with energy consumption being a major concern. The Northern Virginia climate has a couple of months where temperatures can dip into the 20's (Fahrenheit) but most often remains above freezing. My greenhouse will have two layers of poly about 1" apart in the PVC roof system so it will be relatively well insulated. I'd prefer to be 100% solar and affix the panels onto the roof of my house however If I have to I'lll install a prop driven wind gen as well. I'd love to hear from any and everyone running on solar and wind alone.

I'm almost at the point of filling my IBC tanks and allowing the bacterial progression to occur- any pointers would be much appreciated. I look forward to participating in this forum and appreciate your constructive feedback. Woolfeeee

Hi Wolfeee,

Welcome to APHQ.

I have almost completed a 12x14x9.5' tall green house (I'll post pics soon) and my plan is to have four IBC tanks/grow beds below and a 3'x14' planting platform across the top taking advantage of my tall ceilings. Ultimately my goal is to have a completely self sufficient, self sustaining, renewable energy fueled aquaponics greenhouse that vastly exceeds my caloric intake requirements.

I've just acquired a 20' by 9' tunnel house.......and I'm still trying to get my head around what things will look like inside. Just when I think I've got my head around a layout that I like, something new presents itself.

I'd love to hear anyone's good ideas and helpful hints. Ideally I would like to have the following setup- 5 12v pumps that move 500 GPH, 4 400 watt tank heaters and if possible LED grow lights- the pumps and heaters are a must. I want to raise Blue Talapia due to their tolerance for lower temperatures with energy consumption being a major concern. The Northern Virginia climate has a couple of months where temperatures can dip into the 20's (Fahrenheit) but most often remains above freezing.
I'd be happy to see you prove me wrong but I don't think you'll be growing tilapia in that climate. It's on thing to keep them alive for a few days, but it's quite something else to grow them out in those temperatures.

Why not think about trout instead?

Have you considered what the pumps, heaters and lights will be costing you to run? I know you talked about solar and wind power but neither is the most efficient way to produce heat.

My greenhouse will have two layers of poly about 1" apart in the PVC roof system so it will be relatively well insulated. I'd prefer to be 100% solar and affix the panels onto the roof of my house however If I have to I'lll install a prop driven wind gen as well. I'd love to hear from any and everyone running on solar and wind alone.

You'll find very few doing it because it's not easy (nor cheap) to run any aquaponics system on solar power......and probably not possible in quite the way you've described.

I'm almost at the point of filling my IBC tanks and allowing the bacterial progression to occur- any pointers would be much appreciated. I look forward to participating in this forum and appreciate your constructive feedback.

I respectfully suggest that you take a deep breath......and reconsider your design. Put up a schematic diagram (or photos if you've already got things in place) and talk us through your layout. You've made no mention of filtration.....nor of the type of growing system you plan to use.

We may be able to make some suggestions that will help you to realise your food production goals sooner....rather than later.

Feel free to peruse our "frequently asked questions" section......that will help kick off your learning journey. Use the forum search capability and search for things like "fishless cycling"....for the fastest and least painful cycling process.

Gary