Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jeremygesell

Pond help needed!!!!

5 posts in this topic

I am designing a pond for a greenhouse system. I want the pond to take up the least amount of space possible so i am looking at burying the fish. If i were to dig a trench 3' deep, 3' wide, and 26' long could I lay a pond liner in it without any other support? Would the sides cave in or would the weight of the water be enough to hold back the surrounding dirt? Any input/criticism would be very appreciated.

Hi jeremygesell

A pond with a shape like that will definitely require re enforcement. Even if the ground is stable where the hole is dug, a slight leak in your liner would be enough to cause the sides of the hole to collapse. Ponds made with liners only are shallow and gently sloping around the edges to prevent cave in.

Cheers

Joey

I did something similar in my greenhouse for my azolla pit. I plan to redo it this summer, I did 3ft x 16 ft x 1.5 ft deep and lined it with builder plastic. I over lapped the sides with the builders plastic. This is simple and easy to do , but it has problems long term. My ground is sandy and this worked till ants built a nest under the overlap and into one of the walls. The walls started caving in at that spot despite being full of water. I had originally planned to use it as a sump, but the builders plastic developed pin holes and leaks.

I'm debating if I want to cement it in and make it permanent or if I just want to buy a quality epdm liner. I feel you will want some kind of support depending on the type of soil you have. If you have hard clay soil, then you might get by, but it will loose some of its shape if the ground gets saturated during a rain. I'm debating, like you, at the moment, and am considering just building an upper frame of landscape timbers to be able to attach the liner to if I don't go the cement route.