Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Csteortz

Pond water???

6 posts in this topic

I have access to a pond that has been around for 40+ years, it is already stocked and is a clean, well maintained pond. It's probably as big as an acre or more. If the ph is normal, does it make sense for me to start out with the pond water? If I can, would that mean that I could put fish in sooner? Need to know if this is a good idea or not.

Can you check for other chemicals?

I think if it is currently stocked with fish it should be fine to use... Healthy fish... :D

As far as I know if it has fish and plants it is already an AP system, so it would cut your cycle time considerably. You would still have a delay while the bacteria establish in your media but that would be a growth thing not a colonising one. i.e. the bacteria would already be in the water not have to find your system and start from scratch.

Hi,

I think if it is currently stocked with fish it should be fine to use... Healthy fish... :biggrin:

I wouldn't assume that, because fish are swimming around in a body of water, that they are necessarily healthy.

Fish are often found in heavily polluted waters. Remember periodic government warning about not drinking the water or eating the fish from various bodies of water?

Even healthy fish may live in waters that contain viruses or parasites that can be imported into your system if you use water from pond. I generally don't recommend that water or organisms be imported from the "wild" - largely because of the unhelpful things that it might contain.

The bacteria that you need for nitrification are to be found everywhere.....including the air. The challenge is to get their numbers up to the point where they are capable of oxidising ammonia.

Gary

you stand a chance of introducing parasites and other unwanted "guests" from the pond

I would avoid the pond water due to the already mentioned risks, but that doesn't mean you can't utilize the pond as its own "stand alone" AP system, depending on nutrient load that currently exists in the pond.

I would avoid the pond water due to the already mentioned risks, but that doesn't mean you can't utilize the pond as its own "stand alone" AP system, depending on nutrient load that currently exists in the pond.

I agree.....and, even if the pond doesn't have the nutrient load to run AP systems, it's still a great asset in its own right. A pond ticks the boxes in food self-sufficiency on so many levels including water storage, freshwater fish and crayfish and duckweed production (and all of its extensions and with due acknowledgment of its potential issues).

Gary