Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Csteortz

hello from Louisiana

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, looking forward to all the Aquaponic information I can get. Well my plans are to start out with the ibc system and to get some experience going that route. My first question is, do I need a filter on a system that small? Also, has anyone used pex pipe for their plumbing? I was thinking that might be good to use cause you don't have to worry about the pipes bursting in cold weather, and it's flexible. Probably been covered already, but just curious. Thanks

Hi Csteortz,

Welcome to APHQ.

Most people here on APHQ consider a filter to be essential for any size system.

Time & people have proven a hundred times over that using your growbed as the only filter will necessitate cleaning of it. Fish waste solids & other debris will clog the media and create water channeling.... as well as many other possible negative side effects.

Have a browse through the FAQ section where you will find heaps of usefull info.

Though I was born in USA, I have no idea about 'Pex' pipe... im sure another APHQist will be able to offer some insight.

Cheers

Joe

Hello and welcome to APHQ! :)

Pex isn't out of the question, but you'd need to use the 1 inch stuff which is pretty expensive, especially the fittings. It's pretty impractical for drain lines except for small systems.

Also greetings from Louisiana. New Orleans here. Where are you located? Perhaps we could exchange ideas.