Journeyman

To Change the World

This thread is for us to talk about, present & acknowledge ways in which We the People, can, as We the Persons, find ways to undercut the rampant power game that is taking over our world. The payoff is we may just help change the world into something we want to live in.

So, if you have ideas for how we can each begin to make this world a better place to live for how we can start taking back power from the huge organisations which are running our lives, or simply would like to tell us how a good deed you did for a friend or stranger came out, then this is the thread for you.

If we can step out of our comfort zones & brighten the day for one person each day, we WILL make change come about. If we let them know that all we ask is they find someone else to do something nice for, it will spread - how many of you have heard the 'pay it forward' mantra & not really taken it to heart.

Well you're here on the AquaponicsHQ forums - presumably we are among those who are supposed to be looking forward, trying to work out ways that are not mainstream consumerism & doing something about it. From The Secret & from many other sources, we are shown that what we see determines what we receive, so let's start changing what we see.

Look around you, find someone having a difficulty & offer to help. It will make you feel better, it will make them feel better AND, something you probably don't know, it will make anybody SEEING IT feel better as well.

The beauty of simply looking for someone to help out is that there is no coercion involved - one simply sees the need, then steps forward & offers. It may of may not be accepted but even the offer tells them they have been seen, sympathised with & an offer of help made.

I was in the Doctor's a while back to get some blood test results. While waiting there was a woman there who was constantly coughing & most people around her kept looking a bit irritated - it took a while to remember but then I did & I asked if a mint would help & offered her one. She was very happy & it helped her coughing.

Be the centre of an ever-increasing ripple of humanity and start paying goodness forward.

Hi Jm

cool heading

" Journeyman started a thread To Change the World in LOUNGE AREA "

So, if you have ideas for how we can each begin to make this world a better place to live

Well, I think smiling, nodding your head or just saying hello to people you meet, in a friendly way seem s to make most people happy

my 2C

cheers

Hi,

So, if you have ideas for how we can each begin to make this world a better place to live for how we can start taking back power from the huge organisations which are running our lives, or simply would like to tell us how a good deed you did for a friend or stranger came out, then this is the thread for you.

The biggest external influence on my life (and that of most others I suspect) is economic. Governments (at all levels), oil companies, banks, insurance companies, utilities and food chain moguls all have such a presence in our lives. The remind me of the ants who farm aphids so they can milk them of the juices that they recover from plants.

They control our behaviour, our resources and our movements to such an extent that we expend most of our life energy to earn the money to pay them. We are like serfs.....and it's our addiction to "stuff" that binds us to these leeches.

I'm convinced that the only way to free ourselves from this economic tyranny is design a lifestyle which makes them increasingly irrelevant.

Simplify! De-clutter! Reduce our dependence on "stuff". Refuse to play the mortgage game by exploring housing alternatives....like mobile living and tiny houses. Look at housing models from other cultures to avoid the expensive, energy gluttons that our houses have become.

Gary

@ande - smiling at people is (mostly) a great thing to do. I say 'mostly' because sometimes it shocks them and you get a fear reaction - still, maybe even that is good because it externalises them. :D

@Gary - decluttering is something I am working up to doing. After our last conversation on here about similar subject I realised I have a lot of resistance to the idea of chucking out stuff I have been carting around so long - which means I very likely NEED to do it.

Another thing to do is to work on our servants-become-masters. I don't know how many of you recall the Franklin Dam incident? Tasmania wanted to build a dam on the Franklin river and the public were a bit upset about it. The Greens asked Bob Hawke to intervene and he said it was a Tassie issue.

Enough ruckus was raised that the Premier callede a referendum. Problem was, like our Republic referendum, he made sure what the public wanted was not on the ballot. He gave them 'Do you want a dam HERE on the Franklin or THERE on the Franklin.

Something like 70% of people wrote in 'No DAMS' and Hawke was in Tasmania on the early morning flight.

And that gives us a clue on how to deal with politicians. On a broader level they don't mind if we vote for them or the other party - either way we are playing their game. But if we stop playing the game, they freak out.

One way to send the message is to go to the polls this year, get signed in and then write, "None of you bas***ds" on both ballots and put them in the bins. Get your friends to do it, Get them to get their friends to do it.

If we could get 10% of the people to write that in we'd have a VERY attentive set of politicians. If we could get 50% doing it I reckon we'd have the Queen out here on the first available flight... I doubt they'd send Charlie but you never know. :lol: Probably Harry... :D

But what they WOULDN'T do is ignore the fact that a large chunk of the electorate has had enough of their power games. I reckon we'd have forums and town hall meetings and web sites set up and lots of other ways for us to tell them what we really want.

The Occupy Movement was interesting but they targetted the wrong people. The CEO's don't give a damn unless we stop buying their junk. The OM should have targetted politicians - THEY are the ones who live or die on public support.

For the Corporations we need to start shopping local. Don't go to the big chain supermarkets, pay a little extra and shop local. Support the guy who lives in our town. Spend our money with people who we can meet in the street. Stop following the latest fads and buying stuff just because they tell us to.

If you have to go to a supermarket, go to IGA or equivalent - they are a franchise not a chain, so the place is owned locally. Or if sending the message is the main thing, go to Aldi's - almost everything there is sourced in Australia and they don't engage in the standover tactics of Woolies or Coles.

Go to our local Fish & Chips shop for the hamburgers and chips - not MacCrap or the overseas-owned stores. For a start the food is better. :D Plus we are supporting people who can impact our lives. Put up with the fight with the kids and explain to them why you are doing it.

Make it a point to find out which companies use slave labour in poor countries to manufacture goods they then sell for 50 or 100 times the cost to you and me. Blackban them. Find their Sales Dept address and write them to tell them why you will not buy their stuff.

Always talk to the Sales Depts when you complain - THEIR work is about selling you stuff so THEY are the ones directly concerned if people start staying away from their goods. Complaints Depts are a waste of time - they exist ONLY to pacify and act as a filter/buffer for the rest of the Corporation.

Hi Mark,

@Gary - decluttering is something I am working up to doing. After our last conversation on here about similar subject I realised I have a lot of resistance to the idea of chucking out stuff I have been carting around so long - which means I very likely NEED to do it.

When I think about how long it is taking me to separate myself from the fat that I've been carting around, I realise that de-cluttering is more of a concept than a likelihood......for me.

Gary

Hey Gary, I know how it is. I have found so many reasons to not lose the weight. It's sill a goal but it's harder than I thought to keep on with it. Ditto om reasons for not getting into the spare room and clearing out accumulated 'necessary parts of my life!' :D

To be honest I feel priveledged Gary, I have to remind my selfe and fellow Norwegians when I or we complain as we offcourse do at times.

I sure hope we manage to keep it up and not take "our way" for granted, the western "greed" or ego culture is gaining ground as we get richer unfortunatly.

cheers