Sign in to follow this  
GaryD

Trapping animals for food

I don't trap but I do have a story about the 'cruel' part...

In a previous incarnation I worked for Conservation, Forests and Lands Dept in Vic. Joan Kirner, later the Premier, although God only knows how, :D was the Minister and the Greens were in full swing within the Dept, trying to recover the ground they'd lost when Ash Wednesday showed the folly of their ideas about the bush and they'd convinced Joan and upper management that jaw traps in the East Gippsland mountains were an evil to be eradicated.

Joan called in the mountain men and women and in her soft little voice, stood up on the stage and explained how, while she understood they needed to eradicate the dogs and cats because of the predation among their livestock, it was cruel to the feral cats and dogs to use jaw traps. She announced a plan to do a one-for-one replacement of jaw traps with new snare traps. A guy in the audience asked whether they were all meant to carry guns to kill the animals caught that way and Joan explained they would be given cages so they could bring the animals in to be neutered and released to live out their lives and eventually the feral animal problem would go away because they couldn't breed.

Guy with a beard halfway down his chest and looking like he was straight from The Man From Snowy River got to his feet and said, 'Lady, they're killing the animals, not f*cking them!'

Joan 'left the building'... :D

Hi Abe,

I think trapping something - to feed to something - on the way to feeding ourselves - is certainly a big part of what we should be doing. Come across any good designs for fly or mosquito traps?

Gary

for my traps, I take a 2 liter plastic bottle, cut the top off, invert it, and put it back in, so it looks like a funnel. Then, depending on what I trap, I put bait in the trap. For mosquitoes, I add sugar and yeast. For flies, manure and/or rotting meat. For wasps, just sugar water.

You can see it here:

PET Bottles - VelaCreations

I would love to design and build an effective grasshopper trap. The problem is bait. What are grasshoppers attracted to more than their food that is all around everywhere? I mean, you put a bit of grass in a trap, and it won't catch anything! :) So, I think you have to go with pheromones or something like that, maybe fluorescent colors, but still, I haven't seen anything that really works that well. In the meantime, we just catch them by hand.

Hi Abe,

Do you have locust plagues in your part of Mexico?

If you had plagues like we experience in some parts of Australia.....in some years......you'd be able to harvest them with a leaf vacuum....by the million. They just eat the earth bare as they move through.

Gary

yeah, they aren't really locusts, but we do have a similar thing. They are big and fat, and we had a big plague this year. the highways were covered with them!

I let me 4 yr old and my 2 yr old catch them. A weird thing we noticed this year is that they "roost" at night on large plants, like amaranth. So, we would go out in the evening and just shake the plants while holding a net underneath. We could catch several hundred in about 1/2 an hour that way.