GaryD

Fishing

Hi,

Some people seem to be able to eat heartily from their fishing while some others of us, struggle to catch a cold.

The rivers and seas are full of good things to eat. If you are a proficient fisher, here's your chance tell us about it.

Gary

winter is here in west michigan... we will be going thru the usual 8-24 inches of ice soon enough, for yellow belly perch and blue gill/ sunfish. Our usual techniques this time of year are a crappie harness, with wax worms,maggots, or minnows just off the bottom in 20-70 feet of water... most often we can get 10-30 each person for a half days pleasure for the smaller 8-12 inch fish. If it is bass, walleye or pike.... jigging spoons, larger minnows, or spears for work better... which will normally yield 1-5 a day /person... usually in shallower waters... often at night.

There are of course days when we do exceptionally well, and days when I am glad we have something here at home in the freezer.

It's hard for someone like me to conceive of a body of water as large as the Great Lakes. What an enormous resource.

At its best, fishing for me is about saltwater and boats. Also, native to my state, are these lovely things called mud crabs.

Gary

Many visitors will stand on our coast line and proclaim it feels like the ocean , where I live we cannot see the other side of Lake Michigan.... not even 1/10 of the way... it is aproximently 70 miles across here..... 300 miles long.... several hundred feet deep ( maybe 900 ft?). The big lake in winter has only frozen solid all the way across 2 or 3 times in my lifetime.... an amazing site to say the least. Most of our smaller lakes are closer to 4000 acres or less..... these are the ones we normally boat or ice fish. We indeed have an immense resource, both in available food and fresh water for drinking.

Although we have visited the ocean a few times, both east and west coast, I have never seriously fished it... that would be quite nice indeed to do in my opinion. We pay a premium for any salt water species as food.... it has to be shipped 1000 miles or so. You mention mud crab.... any good for food?

You mention mud crab.... any good for food?

Superb food. They are large crabs (compared to blue swimmers, for example) and they can take your toes off with their claws, however, most Queenslanders have a much fonder association with them......on a dinner plate.

Gary

I uploaded some photos of me pulling some arctic char out of the Coppermine River along the arctic coast in northern Canada. Char are by far my favorite fish. I cooked up a nice one on the weekend. There's four more big ones in my shed I have to eat before spring.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6492&d=1358294526

attachment.php?attachmentid=6487&d=1358294443

attachment.php?attachmentid=6479&d=1358294310

attachment.php?attachmentid=6477&d=1358294275

attachment.php?attachmentid=6493&d=1358294543

Cool!!! Thanks for the pic's. I have a couple of questions for you:

1) What's the average weight and length of those buggars.

2) I've done a little ice fishing before. What's the 2x4 attached to the blue rope for?

Cool!!! Thanks for the pic's. I have a couple of questions for you:

1) What's the average weight and length of those buggars.

2) I've done a little ice fishing before. What's the 2x4 attached to the blue rope for?

1) Typically they are around 5 - 7 pounds, but they can get a lot larger. I've got four in my shed right now that are almost 15 lbs.

2) The 2x4 is to prevent the net from being pulled under water through the hole in the ice.

1) Typically they are around 5 - 7 pounds, but they can get a lot larger. I've got four in my shed right now that are almost 15 lbs.

I'm hungry!

2) The 2x4 is to prevent the net from being pulled under water through the hole in the ice.

I didn't realize that the blue "rope" was a net! Should've looked closer.

Thanks!

Good display of fishing in ice water. But one question is here about how is to find is this ice that fishes are avilable in this area where you are diging or its just a guess.

Local knowledge is probably your best when it comes to finding out where the fish are. Up here, any large deep lake is going to have lots of fish in it. Where exactly are you located in the US? Find out what fish are in the area and what habitat they like. If you can find a time and place where they "run" you'll be laughing. Good Luck!