Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GaryD

Hunting with Guns

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

With all of the recent discussion of guns, I thought that a thread on the subject of the use of guns for the purposes of gathering food might be useful.

Gary

very good topic line for taking a break from AP while stille focusing on sustainability. hunting is about as primitive as it gets. it's in our DNA as much as staring into the fire is... ever shop for the perfect item? well that's hunting and tracking. ever find a weird smell in the ouse and you follow it to find what's causing it... hunting and gathering... so it's only natural to have hunting be in you're tricks and trades of sustainability.

my latest hunt... late night hunt with my DPMS .223 for coyotes. it's thrilling to stalk something that will stalk you in return. took my walther 9mm as a sidearm. gotta be safe when you're in the dark. (=

my latest hunt... late night hunt with my DPMS .223 for coyotes.

Don't the skinny little buggers stick in your teeth when you eat them?:wink:

Gary

havent had the gull to try to eat one... yet... lol. like i said we take them mainly for the pelts... a friend of a friend ships them to canada for money when we get a full freezer. it's a good deal really. $100 for a pelt with a single hole in it and $125 for a head shot, which means no holes in the pelt.

we use the hunting mainly a guy time, so if we don't get anything it's no real loss... basically we compare the latest equipment on our guns, more than we actually shoot at anything. lol.

up here predators are few and far between... but we always carry a sidearm for that "just in case" moment... coyotes we're becoming a problem because people lost interest in activly hunting them.. really only taking one down if it was wandering onto their land... they started getting closer and closer ot the cities around here... the place where i work is on the edge of town, and we could hear them going crazy at the end of deer season when they'd find a fallen deer that a hunter failed to track... we're still 22ish dogs away from silling the freezers... so the next time we get one i'll have to put up a picture... they don't look to prety after spending time on ice...

but back to the side arm story... which is one of the funnier hunting stories i have... spent the entire day in a tree waiting for deer, and this crazy squirrel was going nuts a few feet above my head a few hours before sun down... after listening to this thing go crazy for a about 45 minutes i came to the conclusion that no deer were coming and i was sick and tired of this squirrel barking at me... i pulled out my side arm and put an end to the squirrel. the sound from the gun going off scared some deer out of some brush about 20 yards from where i was sitting... they ran off before i could pull up the shotgun... my guess is either they'd snuck in while i had my head turned, or they'd be sitting there all day watching me...

moral of the story... wait till the sun sets before plugging an annoying squirrel, that way if a deer pops up it's at least illegal to shoot it, so watching it disappear hurts just a bit less.

What? You shot a freakin' poor little squirrel.....just because it was complaining about you being up its tree?

Geez, the first and only time I've ever seen a squirrel, it was about 4" high and as cute as a button.

I wouldn't worry about losing the deer.....that's the least of your problems. You're going to do multiple reincarnations just on the karmic debt you accrued from offing that one poor defenceless little creature by itself.:wink:

Did you eat it?

Gary

eventually i did. they don't make to big of a meal one at a time. lol. you gotta wait till you get about 8 of them to make a decent sized stew. i also keep the tails and sell them to people that make fishing flies out of them...

i don't normally kill things unless their death serves a purpose... kind of the unspoken code. i do eat a ton of small game, it's just getting enough of them to make a meal... found a new trick though... wild squirrel run at the sight of a person... they're not like the squirrels that live in the towns... but there's so many town squirrels because it's illegal to shoot any type of gun inside city limits... pellet guns included. so what we do is we go out an hunt for the wild squirrel until we get 4 or 5 of them, then we set up those industrial sized rat traps on top of fence posts with unsalted peanuts or walnuts when they fall from the tree in the fall... over night we hit the magic 8 count.

only once have i gotten something other than a squirrel that way... turns out... possums cant climb trees while they're wearing a rat trap necklace... who knew? lol. the poor guy though... had to put him down with the club... looked like something had gotten ahold of him while he was hung up in the trap... it was the first time i killed something and felt guilty. but hey... magically my garbage stopped getting ripped apart through the night.

some of the squirrel types around here get as big as house cats... the brown squirrel i got that day would have given my dog a run for it's money... lol. actually... the type of squirrel i shot that day is the only type im missing this year from getting the grand slam. (the name we've given to collecting 1 tail from the 4 types of squirrel around here. brown, black, grey, and red.) i got the hardest one to find on the first day, the red, and still havent gotten my brown... so i'm already feeling the karma debt, sort of. lol.

Hi Damon,

actually... the type of squirrel i shot that day is the only type im missing this year from getting the grand slam. (the name we've given to collecting 1 tail from the 4 types of squirrel around here. brown, black, grey, and red.) i got the hardest one to find on the first day, the red, and still havent gotten my brown... so i'm already feeling the karma debt, sort of. lol.

You clearly have a very limited notion of what karma is about......you're probably coming back as a squirrel over that little lot......and you know what that means......some mad bugger with spiky hair is going to try to shoot you.

Anyway, if I might slip my carnivore hat back on briefly.....you can eat squirrels right? Do they breed in captivity? Could you rear them for meat......or is there plenty of them running around in the 'burbs that you could trap (humanely of course)?

Gary

we have loads of squirrells here. unbelievable how many can exhist in a city where no hunting can occur legally ( none are as small as 4 inches, unless at birth).... maybe 300-500 within 1/8 mile from me... maybe more... they are everywhere some days...worse than rats. not even afraid of people in town. We will eat squirrell taken outside town ( those in town frequently eat trash) .... fox squirrells, grays and blacks. the first being rather large...3-4 pounds max?.... latter 2-3 pounds max... depending on the area and genetics. hunting quotas are 5/day per person ( very easy to attain 5/day here)... season is 105 days? rabbits season is longer by 2 months? also 5/day. (squirrells/rabbits with a bow can be awesome practice for bigger game... ) Coyotes are shoot on site... we will not tolerate them, and no, I make no attempt to eat them. ( not many in town... quite a few outside town tho) Oddly enough, my small game license entitles me to shoot coyotes, but I cannot sell the pelts without a fur harvesters license... legally I have to leave them after shooting them without the propeer license to sell hides.

Almost forgot to mention, my son, 15 years old, just harvested his 3 rd deer ever, 2 days before christmas. With a muzzle loader. I had a great time sitting with him in the blind we used. Although I could have harvested a deer also...I passed on the chance.... it was a great source of pleasure to witness him taking such a beautiful animal. We will get many meals from her ( a doe)... hanging weight is around 135 pounds... beautiful animal.

Edited by weldnfab (see edit history)

Hi Weldnfab,

we have loads of squirrells here. unbelievable how many can exhist in a city where no hunting can occur legally ( none are as small as 4 inches, unless at birth).... maybe 300-500 within 1/8 mile from me... maybe more... they are everywhere some days...worse than rats. not even afraid of people in town.

Could they be caught in cage traps and fed a ration for a few days before slaughter - to clean them out. I like the idea of being able to harvest game in an urban environment.

We will eat squirrell taken outside town ( those in town frequently eat trash) .... fox squirrells, grays and blacks. the first being rather large...3-4 pounds max?.... latter 2-3 pounds max... depending on the area and genetics.

Do they taste like anything in particular.....like rabbits, for example? I've heard of squirrel stew but are there other ways of preparing them to eat?

Oddly enough, my small game license entitles me to shoot coyotes, but I cannot sell the pelts without a fur harvesters license... legally I have to leave them after shooting them without the propeer license to sell hides.

You've got to love bureaucrats. Their hunger for revenue exceeds their capacity for common sense every time.

....( none are as small as 4 inches, unless at birth)....

Coyotes are shoot on site... we will not tolerate them, and no, I make no attempt to eat them.

These were said in jest. Sometimes, Damon brings out the devil in me.

Gary

squirrell is best to me fried, kinda like our southerners do chicken. Batter dipped and deep fried. Personnally I brown all meat used in stews or stir frys first. Meat is slightly darker, not unpleasent at all. fairly clean. served with steamed veggies and rice... a decent meal.

Most wild game fat is usually on the surface, or next to the muscles, easily removed. not like domestic cattle where fat is spread throughout the meat. Unless you are in survival mode you really only use the legs... They are very easy to aquire with smare bore (.22 cal.) air/ firearms or bows if you prefer more challenge. Many use shotguns also... when I get serious about em I use a .22 cal magnum rifle, which restricts me to headshots only. Any body hit from this bolt gun destroys too much meat. I also refrain from any shot under 75 to 100 yards... gives em a better chance, and I get the practice for deer season. Right now they are kinda scarce in the woods due to hunting season in full swing since sept 15.... But they repopulate fast and will be back by spring/summer.

One thing I wish to point out Gary is your use of the term "common sence", and "bureaucrats", in the same sentence.... I am quite certain the 2 cannot possibly co-exhist. cheers.