brendon

Combining a Radial Filter with a Bio Filter?

32 posts in this topic

Thanks guys. Yes I know radial beats swirl. My hybrid isn't any more complicated than a straight radial filter and in fact, I think my construction is actually easier to build. I am not necessarily recommending that this hybrid filter contain any media, although that was the direction of the original post. Currently my designs use media beds after the hybrid filter so no need for that function here.

Thanks again for your responses.

Buying into the discussion late here but I agree with Gary and Paul on the use of the radial filter. I made three radial filters a few years ago after seeing Paul's design and photos on his Earthan Group site.

The filter design looked just too simple to be effective but now, years later, two of these filters are still working beautifully. One is pretty much outside my bedroom window on a hardwood stand and filters a concrete pond on the front verandah. The water is always crystal clear and I open the tap every two weeks or so for a few seconds to dump the sludge onto the lawn. Every few months I empty and hose out the filter, so easy to clean!

I think if I needed more filtration I would add a separate filter with media. I have experimented with these kinds of filters and ones containing foam but they seem to need a lot more regular cleaning.

By the way, a belated thank you and best wishes to Gary and thanks to Kellen for maintaining this forum.

I have been a member of APHQ for many years and while I may have had differences of opinion in the past with Gary, he has run an independent forum and introduced many people to Aquaponics and sustainable backyard farming practices. I am honoured that he will be my neighbour on an island where there is a strong community and many like minded people.

As a fellow Tilapia grower, I welcome Kellen's stewardship of the forum. He has given great support to this forum as a moderator over the years.

May the fish be with you!

Dave O ponic

kellenw likes this

Thank you, Dave......for your kind words.

Similarly, I look forward to your return to Australia (and Macleay Island) so that I have a fellow traveller in aquaponics.

Gary

DaveOponic likes this

Hi,

From time to time, we speak about radial flow separators being more efficient than swirl filters.   The attached document provides some research-based information about that.

Here's the key outcome of the RFS over the swirl filter…..

A radial-flow settler was found to provide approximately twice the TSS removal efficiency of a swirl separator of identical size and surface-loading rate. And, use of a radial-flow settler instead of a swirl separator provided considerably reduced solids loading on the microscreen drum filter, which would be expected to reduce its backwash requirements. 

Gary

Radial_Flow_Settler_Whitepaper.pdf

Edited by GaryD (see edit history)
DaveOponic likes this

Wow! Thanks for posting this Gary. Technical and scientific evidence is always better than hearsay or some self appointed "expert" opinion. While this was heavy reading, it backs up my own experience with radial filters and that previously stated by others in this thread. Over nearly ten years playing with AP systems I have always tried to adopt the low tech and low cost solutions where possible as my limited budget dictates. I also prefer to recycle materials where possible. The radial filter has certainly done the job in my AP systems.

I am presently giving some thought to what type of setup I will construct once I return to Australia. I have an acre of very fertile land with a lot of mature fruit trees but also plenty of space for a dirt garden. I will be definitely growing organic vegetables and possibly ding some kind of permaculture area. I have two very large water tanks so no shortage of water. I am hoping to grow some freshwater crayfish and perhaps a combination of wicking beds and floating raft. Lettuce is something I have always wanted to grow but here in Brunei it has been impossible due to heat and humidity it can be only grown indoors in a cooled environment.

Hi folks,

Long time, no see Dave...Good to see you back...

Talking about buying into the conversation late....I have copied Earthan group's radial solids separator and found it heaps better then the previous swirl I had...I have built a combination of a small radial solids separator  fitting into a larger moving bed biofilter, copied again from Earthan group but slight adjustments in the different containers I had available and it works OK...It is handy if you only have a small footprint in which you can put your system on... I think given a choice, I would use a radial solids separator separately to my Bio filter. And that's the way I plan to run all my systems in the future, where I can...

Cheers.

Hey BD,

Yes, still doing AP after all these years in Brunei. Ready to return to my acre and grow veges, fish and harvest exotic fruit from my trees. Maybe the end of this year I will give up the expat life.

My radial filters are humming along nicely and require minimal cleaning and maintenance. Still using mainly gravel beds but systems are a few years old and pretty well balanced. Never have pH swings or catastrophes, clean water mostly, dead fish are a rare event.

Looking forward to the more temperate of Brisbane to grow my own and live the good life. Oh, and my BMW now lives on a small island too so have a nice little ride around every time I am home.

Fishly yours

Dave