Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobsnrg

Brand New AP system, Mesa Arizona.

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm Bob, and new to the site as well as new to the world of aquaponics. I just designed, built, and started up my backyard AP system. I based it on 3 - 275 gallon IBC totes. I have 4 - 75 gallon grow beds filled with clay growing media and 2 - 200 gallon fish tanks (piped together as one). I'm afraid that in my excitement to get it all up and running, I jumped the gun in adding fish to my system. I had it running about a week and I couldn't stand it - I added fish. I did use some "seed" water (water from my friends established AP system) but I think that I have not got the proper bio components balanced and functioning properly yet. So the fish are stressing - gulping air. I have the water being oxygenated well with waterfall and air stones. It is my basic understanding that fish will also gulp air when the water chemistry is off, not just when water is not well oxygenated. I probably do not have enough plants going either to support the cycle. I do not have a specific filter (bio or mechanical) other than the grow beds and the strainer on the pump. I thought that these systems did not necessarily need special filtration - that the grow beds would provide that. Yesterday evening I did a partial water change (about 20%) and added some bottled pond bacteria product. This morning the fish are not gulping but they still seem sluggish and not that excited about eating. Any thoughts out there?

Thanks, Bob

Glad to be here!

Welcome!

Have you done any water testing yet? If so, post the results and let the experts (not me!!) take a look. If not, I would get some test done as soon as possible.

Hi Bob,

Welcome aboard. Do yourself a favor and invest in an API Freshwater Master Test Kit. It'll run about $20 and will last for many hundreds of tests. It's money well spent.

Again welcome to APHQ! great to have you with us. :)

Hi bob,

Welcome to APHQ.

Ditto on the test kit.....and go very easy on the feed 'til things settle down.

Check to see that there's not a heap of feed on the bottom of the tanks.

Gary