Sign in to follow this  
jet

DWC/SWC/NFT how to make it work?

I set up some 100mm pipes with 80mm net pots and Hydroton. 60 holes

Plan was to run in line with Aquaponics using spare flow from pump. So far it all technically works great.

Im running water up to 10mm (40mm deep) into net pots, lots of flow. I can adjust water depth from 5mm to 80mm if needed.

Few strawb runners looking great but not salting fish water at this point

Interestingly there is dirt and solids collecting on floor of pipes. This water is after swirl, K1 filter AND grow beds. No such deposits seen in fish tanks and its been running for 2 years now

BUT real change is the plant types. Was going to be leaf crops but now looking into strawberries. These dont handle salt too well from fish setup

Should I separate and run a full hydro setup inc pump nutrient etc etc? Can hydro be done simply enough to be hands off other than water changes?

Also pls help with water depth and aeration suggestions if I go this way

Hi Jet,

Im running water up to 10mm (40mm deep) into net pots, lots of flow. I can adjust water depth from 5mm to 80mm if needed.

Sorry, this one has me a bit confused.

Few strawb runners looking great but not salting fish water at this point

Salt shouldn't be an issue for strawberries so long as you keep it below 1ppt......which is more than enough to mitigate against nitrite toxicity.

Interestingly there is dirt and solids collecting on floor of pipes. This water is after swirl, K1 filter AND grow beds. No such deposits seen in fish tanks and its been running for 2 years now

Given the age of the system, and the filtration arrangements in place, I'm inclined to think that the "dirt" is very fine spent sediment that exists in all systems. If it worries you, put a sock inside a sock and put that over the inlet pipe.....and see if that slows it down.

Should I separate and run a full hydro setup inc pump nutrient etc etc? Can hydro be done simply enough to be hands off other than water changes?

You can......and, with the more consistent nutrient mix that hydro nutrients will provide, you should get good results......and it is easy as you suggest.

Also pls help with water depth and aeration suggestions if I go this way

The water level only needs to be deep enough to allow the Hydroton to wick the moisture up to the plants. You can push a bit more water through the system in very hot weather......to minimise heat stress.

Gary